ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Adding LED Anunciation to Voodoo Lab Pedals?

3/11/2005 2:35 PM
Jon
email
Adding LED Anunciation to Voodoo Lab Pedals?
Hi  
Anyone have a schematic for the Voodoo Lab Overdrive and Voodoo Lab Tremelo (2 knob version), or know if they're set up with true bypass on that DPDT?  

I don't have the pedals in front of me, a buddy would like me to provide LED anunciation on these pedals for him. He sent me JPEG's, I can't tell from eyeballing the wiring if I can rewire the DPDT and go with a Millenium bypass circuit, or if I'll need to do the 3PDT trip. I'd like to have necessary parts beforehand, as he gigs frequently and needs a very quick turnaround.  
thanx!  
Jon

3/14/2005 4:53 PM
coledavis
email

AFAIK on the older pedals without an LED, the pedals are setup for true bypass. If the DPDT is not board mounted (can't remember), you can just add a Millenium. On the newer ones with LED (which are board mounted), it's an "almost" true bypass - the DPDT controls a photoFET which controls an LED. The photoFET has an extremely high ON resistance, but that's still hanging off the input so it's not a real true bypass.

3/14/2005 10:17 PM
Jon
email

Thanx,  
When first looking @ the jpeg of the unit with the Carling DPDT, figured it must be true bypass....on a close-up though, seems like it's got all 6 lugs wired (without tying 2 poles together on one throw side) which made me wonder if something else might be cooking....I'll just have to get it here beforehand and have a look-see.

3/17/2005 3:12 PM
coledavis
email

That's just an alternate way of wiring a DPDT for true bypass. That way (the "cross wire" way, so to speak) is more reliable since if one side of the switch fails, the pedal will still pass signal. With the "usual" way, if one side fails, the whole thing fails.

3/17/2005 10:30 PM
Jon
email

Gotcha. Never seen that done before...makes sense.

Page 1 of 1