ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Wiring MM FTDO-59 OT in 5E3

4/10/2006 5:12 PM
Mark M.
Wiring MM FTDO-59 OT in 5E3
Hi, I've gotten hold of a Mercury Mag. FTD0-59 output tranny and I want to make sure I wire this guy correctly. This tranny has standard 3 wire inputs but the output side has one yellow one and the other output wire is soldered to the side of the O/T housing. So I'm thinking the yellow output lead should go to the tip of the output speaker jack...but shoud I then ground the jack to the chassis in place of the normal ground lead that does not existfor this OT? I have a diagram describing the leads but they give no advice on the wiring scheme? Anybody out there used one of these?

4/10/2006 6:13 PM
Chris@CMWamps

Hi Mark  

1st of all: be carefull with that yellow wire. The secundary ground is made trough the OT-casing & mounting and the amplifier-chassis.  

Put the yellow wire on the "tip"/+ of the 1st speaker-output and you'll be fine (and your amp too :)).  

I've used a lot of those trannies and they're just excellent imho.  

Hope this helps,  

Chris  

Ps Yep Bruce, no MM-shares for me :) :D

4/11/2006 1:53 AM
Bruce / Mission Amps

Ha ha... if you got paid a dollar from MM every time you've recommended one of their overpriced OTs to someone, you might be able to afford one yourself. ;)  

Bruce

4/11/2006 4:00 AM
Chris@CMWamps

Hi Bruce  

LOL  
And about the times I did recommend your kit?  

:)  

Chris

4/11/2006 6:27 AM
TD Madden

Bruce,  

Thought you were a supporter of MM xformers...have you changed your mind about their value?  

Regards.

4/11/2006 9:12 AM
Bruce / Mission Amps

No, not really.  
I still think they are too pricey but this is just a running joke between Chris and I.  

Bruce

4/11/2006 11:29 AM
Mark M.
Thanks for the tip on wiring this.

Page 1 of 1