ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: visit Schematic Hell!

The sunn still shines online!

:
Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Power Transformers

:
2/28/2006 1:12 AM
Big Al
Power Transformers
I've decided to build a 5e3 clone from the schematics on this forum. I already have the board almost complete. I just need a little help sourcing a suitable Power transformer and Output transformer. I'd prefer to source them locally in Australia as the voltage is at 240v (50hz).  

Or at the very least some detailed specs for the US PT & OT transformers so I can get someone to build the 240v equivalent for me.  

Thanks guys

2/28/2006 1:14 PM
tweed
can you get hammond transformers where you live?

3/1/2006 12:30 AM
Big Al

Not very easily I'm afraid, that why I'll probably have to get something engineered to spec

3/1/2006 7:49 AM
Tore T

Both Ted Weber and Bruce at mission carry PTs with Export primaries..!  
Shipping for one tranny should'nt be too bad from USA...  

If you still want to get a custom built tranny, you should be looking for the following specs for the secondaries:  

1: 320-0-320 VAC 100-120mA  
2: 3.15-0-3.15 VAC 2 A (Or a 0-6.3VAC 2A will do)  
3: 0-5 VAC 2A  

(The listed Ampere rating is absolute minimum.. a higher value, especially for the 6,3V and 5V windings is fine)

3/1/2006 8:16 AM
Andy B.

Big Al,  

You might be able source parts from here reasonably:  

http://www.ceriatone.com/index.htm  

They are in S.E. Asia  

-Andy

3/2/2006 1:43 AM
anonymous
hi Al  
you might like to try retrosound.com.au  
that's where i got my 5e3 kit with mercury magnetics transformers. the transformer link on their page is unlinked at the moment, but you might try emailing them. They're in melbourne.

3/2/2006 1:25 PM
Bruce /Mission Amps

Although I do not use the WeberVST transformers in my 5E3 kits, the basic 025130 power tranny sold by WeberVST is actually an "Asian Rim" copy of my old TMI (USA) 20watt Crusader Power Tranny with it's dual secondaries for 6V6s or EL84s.  
This is something Ted and I did a couple years ago with my support.  
Their Euro version has the primary voltages you need and should work fine in a 5E3 clone if you stick with a real NOS 5Y3GT rectifier tube.  

You might have to cut and paste this link:  

https://weberspeakerscom.secure.powweb.com/store/025130eusch.jpg  

Bruce

Page 1 of 1