ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. The sunn still shines online!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: So how about Epiphone amps?

:
2/7/2006 9:29 AM
Sonny ReVerb Re: So how about Epiphone amps?
I'm confused by this tone section. Does the three-legged Sprague device contain the whole bridged-T segment (the 500pF cap, 3300pF cap, and both 220k resistors)? That's the only thing that would make sense in comparing the schem to the chassis photos.

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

2/7/2006 9:50 AM
Steve A.

Sonny:  

That was my interpretation.  

Steve Ahola

1/20/2006 5:35 PM
Steve A.
Re: 5E3 w/ reverb and tremelo? Try this...
Clyde said:  

My Falcon has a 6C4 instead of the 7199, it's a '64 or so.  

I could only find one GA-19RVT listed, but maybe the later one is the same as a different model...? I just found this site and it includes the owner's manuals with the schematics for various Gibson/et al amps:  

http://www.harpamps.com/gibson/  

Your amp sounds pretty slick and there are a lot of us who would like to clone it... ;)  

Steve Ahola

1/21/2006 10:08 AM
anonymous
Good link Steve...  

I should of kept the 5A-5T.

1/21/2006 11:36 AM
Clyde
Yeah I played last night with it, didn't change out the 5881's for the 6V6's like I should have but changed the 5Y3 for a 5V4 after the first set, too  
much mush. We're in a bigger venue tonight, I'll  
see what happens, think I'll still go with the 6V6's.  
I've been using the 5881's for a few years and the PT  
is still hanging in there, must be overspec. I don't use the reverb or tremolo at all in this thing, don't  
care for the reverb sound at all. Really the key is  
to really push the front end I think, everything else  
is just secondary. I play with a killer harp player who tried this amp with harp several years ago and  
liked it so I bought it. Sometimes our tone paths  
cross but the Gibson Maestro he plays through (also  
my amp) and loves, I find unsuitable for guitar. I wish I could post some sound files for this but haven't a clue.

1/22/2006 9:11 AM
tubetwang
I have worked on a few Gibson and i thought they were badly engeneered.  

To remove the chassis was insanely complicated...

1/22/2006 9:36 AM
TD Madden

The link is to the "tweed" Falcon, a MUCH different animal than the brown-vinyl covered model under discussion (I have BOTH).  

The reverb sounds pretty close on these amps, but the newer one has an aluminum chassis, "real" PTP wiring (that looks rushed and not well thought-out), and also a Jensen (after Jensen sold out to a different company) C12R. The cabinet design is pretty clunky as well, and the tubes get much hotter as they mount horizontally without good venting. The only thing I like about this model is that the knobs can be used on the "tweed" model.......  

That said, I'm open to making it sound better....but not sure if the effort involved is worth it.....  

By the way, as mentioned before, the tweed Falcon sounds pretty nice......

<<First Page<PrevPage 7 of 8 Next> Last Page>>