ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. The sunn still shines online!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: Link to scans of Jack Darr Amplifier Handbook

:
2/1/2006 8:48 AM
steve
Re: Link to scans of Jack Darr Amplifier Handbook
I don't think the schematics section was ever scanned. At least, I've never seen it online.  

Most likely, the schematics section was left out as a concession to the copyright owner of the book, whomever that might be.  

steve

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

2/1/2006 9:16 AM
Bruce /Mission Amps

Hey Steve, I bought that book for my brother Lew for Christmas in 1972. It is the 1971 edition.  
I reclaimed it years ago and have it at the shop for my personal refrence, as many old amps with no name are actually in it.  
If you were a good boy and took good care of it, I'd let you come by and take it sometime to scan the schems, etc.  

Bruce

2/1/2006 10:26 AM
steve

Hey Bruce,  

Thanks for the offer. I have the same edition plus a photocopy of the 1st ed. I would have scanned it by now, but I'm afraid I'd have to break the binding to get clear scans :( I don't want to f*ck up my copy (or yours for that matter).  

I still need to get that 18w face plate back to you. I knew you were busy with the move, etc. Have things calmed down and the shop?  

steve

2/1/2006 12:32 PM
Bruce /Mission Amps

quote:
"I still need to get that 18w face plate back to you. I knew you were busy with the move, etc. Have things calmed down and the shop?"
Crap I forgot about Scott's amp... I really need to get that done.  
We moved, Laurie busted her ankle Saturday night at the end of it all, Randy still has his PU truck full of junk, mine is full, the little Trooper has Dusty's stuff in it, our two garage is piled to the ceiling and there is 50 unopened boxes all over the house!  
ha ha...  
What's bad is I get to do this all over again in 60 days to move into our real house.  

Bruce

2/1/2006 12:07 PM
Steve A.

steve said:  

Most likely, the schematics section was left out as a concession to the copyright owner of the book, whomever that might be.  

Probably Sams Photofacts, but I think that the schematics were omitted because most of them are available in the Pittman book and on many places on the net. I would argue that it is the text that is the intellectual property in need of protection by copyright laws, but I believe that the entire book is still owned by Sams. ("Play me or trade me!" the ballplayer whined as he sat out still another game. I really think that copyrights should revert back to the author or their family if the publisher lets it stay out of print for a certain number of years- I believe that they did revise these laws in this direction recently.)  

Someone mailed me a spiral bound photocopy of the green covered edition with 240 pages (it does cover ss amps). The title page wasn't included so I'm not sure what edition it is. The Sams number is 20848 and I suspect that it was nicked from a library, since the number "72310390" is stamped on the first page (the preface).  

Section 3 starts at Page 105 and the book goes through Page 240 (the index). 236 pages to scan and upload somewhere... any volunteers? I'll make copies at Kinko's and mail them to whoever offers to pick up the torch on this! :)  

Steve Ahola  

P.S. I wish I could remember who it was who sent me the photocopy so I could thank him again!

2/1/2006 1:07 PM
steve

Steve,  

I have the Fourth Edition, First Printing with a 1977 copyright date. The schematics section goes from pg. 111 to pg. 382. Sam's number is 21443.  

steve

2/2/2006 2:52 AM
Steve A.

steve;  

My copy looks like the same edition that I checked out of the Berkeley library around 1975, looking for a schematic for my 1965 Pro Reverb... my recollection was that it was the 2nd edition. I believe that it came out around 1972. Maybe I'll scan the contents pages for the schematics and you can compare them to your edition (which I believe has a lot more solid state amps in it).  

Steve Ahola

<<First Page<PrevPage 6 of 8 Next> Last Page>>