ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: 5E3 w/ reverb and tremelo? Try this...

:
1/18/2006 8:54 AM
TNO Re: 5E3 w/ reverb and tremelo? Try this...
I used to own one and it was similar to a 5E3 but not as loud. Very quiet-running amp. The tone control seemed to function a bit differently. Best reverb and trem I've ever heard! Someone should do a reissue.

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

1/17/2006 9:43 AM
Dutch

Steve--  
Looks like it would be a decent sounding amp.  

One thing that's neat about that circuit is the ability to get 100% reverb, so if you had another amp w/o reverb, you could tap off its speaker output, pad it down to a small level, and feed it to this puppy (set for 100% wet) and, blammo, there's your reverb....  

You could even put a volume pedal in front of it for fading in and/or setting rever mix on the fly. If you're into it, you could even put a delay pedal after the volume and have reverbed echoes.... Throw a chorus set 100% wet in the line for some extra "swirl" on the 'verb--it's a neat effect!  

Reverb sounds *much* better (IMHO) from a separate speaker.  

C ya,  
Dutch

1/17/2006 9:46 AM
Dutch

Steve--  
You can use 12AX7s in place of the 6EU7s, the main diff is the heater wiring and some small amount of noise performance that the 6EU7s supposedly have on the 12AX7. I've never tried one, so I can't comment on whether they are or are not quieter than 12AX7s at the same gain levels.  

It looks like they're using the triode section of the 7199 to drive the reverb tank, and the pentode section as gain recovery.  

HTH!  

C ya,  
Dutch

1/18/2006 7:10 AM
Carl Gigun
Neat little amp. Didn't see the 5e3 reverb thread but it seems the usual way is to add a tube to drive the tank and run the return into the input of whatever channel you're not plugged into at the moment. Can't get much easier than that, but maybe some guys like to plug into both?

1/19/2006 10:44 AM
Clyde
My Falcon has a 6C4 instead of the 7199, it's a '64 or  
so. What a great amp! I rewired the tone stack slightly, replaced the OPT with larger one, rewired  
the first 2 6EU7 sockets for 12AX7s and run Tung Sol  
5881's usually and sub out the 5Y3 for a 5V4 or 5AR4  
depending on the venue. I've tried many different speakers but the exceedingly cheap C12R trumps them  
all. It tends toward the treble at home but cuts  
beautifully on stage. I have to use a clean boost on  
the front end to get the gain and volume up and use  
a distortion pedal for dirt and that's it. All the  
local players comment on the tone of this thing. I  
couldn't see myself using anything else as I've never  
heard anything better and I've heard a lot of amps.  
I'm a lucky feller.

1/19/2006 3:22 PM
TD Madden

Clyde,  

is that the brown vimyl-covered model?  

I have one of those ( and two of the '61 tweed versions), and it has NO balls.....thereverb is great, but.....

1/19/2006 10:09 PM
Bruce /Mission Amps

I agree with TD... they're about 85% dog and have very little to offer.  

bruce

<<First Page<PrevPage 2 of 8 Next> Last Page>>