ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. The sunn still shines online!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

5E3 w/ reverb and tremelo? Try this...

:
1/17/2006 12:25 AM
Steve A.
5E3 w/ reverb and tremelo? Try this...
    I was checking out the schematic for the Gibson GA-19RVT Falcon amp from the 60's and gee whiz, the volume and tone controls sure look like a 5E3...  

http://hem.passagen.se/ekabjan/Amps/Schematics/ga-19rvt_style1.jpg  

I don't know how 6EU7 tubes compare to 12AY7's and 12AX7's, but I figure that the Gibson schematic would provide a decent game plan for the project.  

Steve Ahola  

P.S. I think that there is an error in the drawing as it shows V2 for both reverb driver and reverb recovery (I think that reverb recovery would be the other triode of V3, surprisingly similiar to the Fender reverb amps which came out later!)

1/17/2006 2:46 AM
Chris/CMW amps

Hi Steve  

More like a tweed Harvard or Vibrolux with reverb and cathode-bias...  
The 7199 tube does have two sections afaik.  
Check some tube-data-sheets to check out the gainfactor/etc. from the 6EU7s.  

Chris

1/17/2006 10:24 PM
Steve A.

Chris said:  

More like a tweed Harvard or Vibrolux with reverb and cathode-bias...  

Well, with just a single channel it is a lot like a 5F2A Princeton, but the tone stack is a lot like the 5E3, which is the namesake of this forum... ;) I believe that the circuit for a 6G10 Harvard is identical to the 5F2A Princeton, but I think that Bruce mentioned that it used a larger speaker...  

In any case, there was a post here recently about someone wanting to add reverb to their 5E3 and I think that this would be a slick way to add it in.  

I did a quick check on 7199's and read that they were a "triode/pentode" tube... I was thinking that was an "or" not an "and" but you are undoubtably correct.  

--Thanks!  

Steve Ahola

1/18/2006 4:09 AM
Chris/CMW amps

Hi Steve  

The tone/volume-control is different than a stock 5E3 without the infamous Bruce/Chris-mod :)  
A customer (and collector) will bring in an old tweed Harvard pretty soon. Afaik all Harvards did use the 5F10 circuit (see the FenderFieldGuide) but somewhere in time a different type (less or more gain) type of V1 (single triode tube) was used.  

I wish I had some time left to see if a 5E3 with trem and verb is possible without loosing the (original) sound and feel but too many amps, designing/preparing a new amp and now also making booster-pedals because of all requests (prototype was sold the same afternoon).  

But (!); that Gibson circuit must be a good starting-point.  

Chris

1/18/2006 2:38 PM
Steve A.

Chris:  

You're right! I was just looking at the tone control with 500pF across the Volume control on the treble side and .005uF to ground on the bass side, and immediately thought "Tweed Deluxe"! But you're right... the Volume control is Brucified (or should we say Collinsed?), with the wiper going to the tube grid.  

I believe that they used the two 2M volume pots to keep the grid load at 1M, so that should be roughly the same as a Fender tweed design. And bringing the reverberated signal back looks fairly neutral as well.  

Here's a link to the 6G10 Harvard:  

http://www.blueguitar.org/new/schem/fender/harvard_6g10.gif  

Steve Ahola  

P.S. "Brucify" has a nice ring to it:  

"Christ you know it ain't easy, you know how hard it can be  
The way things are going, they're going to brucify me..."  

from The Ballad of John and Tweedo  

:D

1/19/2006 2:59 AM
Chris/CMW amps

Ha ha!  

"A building class hero is something to be, keeps you doped with resitors and caps and tweedy."  

(another modified Lennon song :))  

later,  

Chris

1/19/2006 3:13 AM
Chris/CMW amps

Hi Steve  

And here's the link for the 5F10 one:  
http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/schem/harvard_5f10_schem.gif  

Chris

Page 1 of 8 Next> Last Page>>