ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

5E3 vs 5F2A again

:
12/3/2005 4:47 PM
Paul
5E3 vs 5F2A again
So, I was all set to pull the trigger on a 5F2A kit next week.  

Today I played a few amps in the vintage room at GC. I played a very nice little SF Vibro Champ, a mid 70's Princeton Reverb and then a real 55 tweed deluxe with original speaker!!!  

I went to look at the princeton because my friend told me about it.  

I did not like the princeton at all. It sounded thin and weak. The little vibro champ well, it was a vibro champ... they can be cool for a little box.  

The deuxe was one of the best small combos I have ever played. I tried a tele, a strat and a very, very nice 1952 ES 175 with a singel P-90. It sounded great with all of them and did a good mellow jazz tone at about three on the volume.  

Explain to me why every one says these are to loud for home or practice amps? I was going for the 5F2A for just a home amp as I have three other giging amps (Mesa, Matchless and a Bandmaster) and I really only want a practice amp. Can the 5F2A be as warm, fat and a little dirty or is it going to be thin compared to the 5E3.... Damit am I going to have to change my mind and get a Deluxe instead?

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

12/4/2005 9:24 PM
George

Apples and oranges, tweed and blackface (and not even the good blackface versions, at that).  

I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the 5E3 but I feel a little sorry for you in that you didn't get to sample prime years for the Champ and Princeton. It's kinda like what Ford did with the Mustang or Chevrolet with their primo muscle cars. They should just retire the names and let it go...

12/4/2005 10:33 PM
Ringo
Yes, you are going to have to change your mind and get a Deluxe.

12/5/2005 7:37 AM
elroy

yeah, i think the 5E3, is a better value, weber 5f2a = 425.00, 5e3 = 475.00,

12/5/2005 11:25 AM
George

How do you weight your formula for determining value? What fractions go to tone, volume, and cost?

12/5/2005 9:28 AM
Bruce /Mission Amps

The standard 5F2A Princeton had a single 8" speaker.  

I was involved with the Weber tweed amp kit projects.  
Based on an amp my brother Lew built from an old 5F2A chassis and a 5F10 Harvard cabinet (used the same size chasssis)... This was the basis of my old 5watt Soulkicker Jr. amp.  
I talked Ted Weber into using the Tweed Harvard cabinet for their version of the 5F2A, which has a larger box and a 10" Alnico speaker.  
Way more useable and a big difference in combo tone, a bit more like a small bore 5E3 and the 5F2A actually has a good tone control.  

Still, any 5F2A is only a 3-4 watt class A amp.  

A 5E3 is about 10-12 watts clean output and class AB1, which will make a lot more "heard" power driving a musically clipped pair of output tubes up to 14-16 watts and it uses a larger more sensitive 12" speaker.  

Bruce

12/5/2005 10:02 AM
Boogie

Well you guys have almost convinced me that the deluxe is the way to go but... once more all ask is there any clips of anyones 5f2a and is it just a bigger champ (boxy and small sounding) or can it pass as a quite Deluxe?

Page 1 of 4 Next> Last Page>>