ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: 5881 needed

:
10/27/2005 3:53 PM
Dutch
Re: 5881 needed
Steve--  
They aren't really optimally matched with the 4.3k p-p Fender OTs. They like 6k6 p-p just fine, though, and love high voltages. I have used them in guitar amps for a long time, and once this impedance issue is dealt with, they sound great.  

I do want to try those new Russian Tung-Sols, though....  

HTH!  

C ya,  
Dutch

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

10/27/2005 3:59 PM
steve

Dutch,  

Thanks for the comments. I know the Sovteks 5881s don't sound good with stock 4.3k Fender OTs, but I didn't know what impedence they *do* sound good with. Thanks for clearing that up.  

I know the MiG 50s run them at over 500v on the plates. I wonder what the primary impendence of that OT is? When I opened mine up, it looked like some Russian military OT, and was pretty good sized as well.  

Regards,  

steve

10/23/2005 5:36 AM
Ed
Thank you all for your answers.  
The reason I'm decided to go for 5881 is to be as accurate as possible to late 50's one and because I don't want more than 30 w in this amp.I suppose toying with 6L6GC iddle current would get no mora than 30 w but I don't know if that would real 5e5-A affect tone much....would it take to a Bandmaster/Bassman territory?

10/25/2005 11:09 PM
Enzo

Remember that tubes are really like what the Brits call them - valves. All tubes do is regulate the flow of current from the existing power source into your speaker. You can affect power levels by changing tubes, but wiring a 6550 into a 5 watt amp will not turn it into a 35 watt amp.

10/26/2005 12:14 PM
Al Lang

ED,  

Email me, I have a set of used matched 1950's Tung Sol's, brown base. Sound very good in my Allen Old Flame. They tend to break-up early and have a thick and creamy tone.  

I got them used off ebay two years ago. They were suppose to be a matched pair tested to be very good. I had them in my Old Flame and they biased up with/in 1 milliamp of each other. So I'd say they are matched very well. As far as life in them, I maybe have 5 hours on them since I got them.  

Al

<<First Page<PrevPage 2 of 2