ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. The sunn still shines online!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Mixing Speakers

:
7/14/2005 5:11 PM
5F6A Newbie
Mixing Speakers
Has anyone ever mixed 2 ceramic magnet and 2 alnico magnet speakers in a 5F6-A cabinet? If you have, what did you use and how did it sound?  

Also,how did you lay the speakers out in the cabinet?  

5F6-A Newbie

7/15/2005 2:30 AM
Bruce /Mission Amps

I've used many speaker combos in 4x10 and 2x10 cabs.  
Recently, a real 5F6a with two WeberVST 10A100Ts in the top and two 10F125s across the bottom... great tone.  
Another inexpensive mix was a pair of WeberVST Sig 10s speakers on the top with a pair of Eminence Legend 105 10" ceramics on the bottom.  
A harp player customer of mine loves his 5F6A with a pair of smooth cone alnico Sig 10 speakers and a pair of ceramic Sig 10s speakers. Inexpensive but effective.  

A great sounding BF Super Reverb I re-speakered used a pair of heavy 25 watt WeberVST 10F150s and a pair of 30 watt WeberVST 10A125s.  

Bruce

7/16/2005 11:28 AM
5F6A Newbie

Bruce,  

Thank you for your input. How about mixing Eminence Legend 102s and Legend 105s in a 4 X 10 Bassman cab?  

Can you layout the speakers as follows:  

Top Row: Anico-Ceramic  
Bottom Row: Ceramic-Alnico  

Does this affect the tone (as a whole)that the amp outputs?  

5F6-A Newbie

7/16/2005 12:34 PM
Bruce /Mission Amps

That's fine too and a slightly better tonal balance about 8'-10' out from the amp.  
The ceramics on the bottom seem to amplify the cabinet's bass response slightly.  

Bruce

7/16/2005 1:20 PM
Thorny

May I also add that ceramics on the bottom and alnicos on the top help make an amp less top heavy. If you have light speakers on the bottom and heavier ones on top - they weight on top cobmined with the chassis will more easily tip over. This is especially important if you use tilt back legs on a super reverb or it is mounted on rollers. It can be downright unstable.  

I have mixed all kinds of speakers too. Recently a customer had some of the jensen reissue P12R (alnico, and I really don't care for them) in a super reissue, and I put 2 weber 10A150s in the bottom two holes in the cab. Sounded MUCH better. I just mixed a vintage Celestion G12H from the 70s with a newer Vintage 30 in one of my 5E3x2s and they sounded great together.  

Thorny

Page 1 of 1