ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

AMERICAN 18 WATTER

:
7/13/2005 4:52 PM
Bruce /Mission Amps
AMERICAN 18 WATTER
Anyone think there would be any interest in a newish kit/amp,  
...(calling it the American 18 watter for now).  
18 watts, single channel, fixed bias JJ6V6s with a vintage sounding power tube "modulated bias" vibrato circuit, my custom PT&OT combo (OT has 4 and 8 ohms) and with a trick, single tone control that is not a tweed tone control and actually WORKS on one knob...  
all packaged in something the size of a 1x12 tweed Deluxe or possibly a 2x10 Super Amp cabinet (a 1x12 baffle can be made available in this cabinet too) with vinyl covering, not tweed? Well, tweed material is OK too.  
This same amp with a SOVTEK 5Y3GT, NOS 5V4GT or WeberVST Copper Cap WZ34, two 6L6s and a 20 watt OT would probably hit close to 28-30 watts cleanish.  
Like the 18 watter amp kits from others, it won't be cheap (like the Weber Kits) but I'm thinking it could blow a 1x12 Marshall 18 watter in the weeds.  

Bruce

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

7/13/2005 7:57 PM
steve

Bruce,  

What OT and PT are you using for this amp?  

Steve

7/14/2005 12:40 PM
Bruce /Mission Amps

The base amp will use my custom wound tweed Deluxe OT and PT but my newest OT will have 4 and 8 ohm outputs.  
They are scheduled to be delivered in the second week of August.  
Bruce

7/13/2005 8:15 PM
Mark P

Bruce- I'm in...

7/13/2005 9:51 PM
Bob Arbogast
Bruce:  

That's sounds in the same ballpark as David Allen's Hot Fudge, which is a terrific amp. I'd say go for it!  

Bob

7/14/2005 5:44 AM
Carl Gigun
I know I love 6V6. sounds good to me.

7/14/2005 10:00 AM
George

No interest in vibrato but otherwise I'm all over it - especially in a compact 2-10 (I like mixing Weber and Celestion). Any interest in offering a switchable biasing scheme - fixed/cathode?  

I'd also be interested to hear from you (and others) regarding whether you feel that sonics are degraded/compromised with transformer sets that allow output tube switching (6V6, 6L6, EL34) ala (but not exclusive to) Allen?

Page 1 of 5 Next> Last Page>>