ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Need inexpensive 6V6GTs for 5e3x2. JJ or EH?

:
3/8/2005 11:40 AM
Erwin Need inexpensive 6V6GTs for 5e3x2. JJ or EH?
I have some other large expenses on the horizon (10 year anniversary) so can't do NOS at the moment. I need to replace the 6V6GTs in my 5e3x2 as one is weak and one is dead.  

Anyone using JJ or EH?  

Thanks,  
Erwin

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

3/8/2005 11:29 AM
Bruce /Mission Amps

How much can you afford to spend on four power tubes  
Erwin?  

Bruce

3/8/2005 12:05 PM
Erwin
Hi Bruce,  

Money's tight and I have a bid a vintage Jensen I might win too. Four EH's or JJ's for $50 seems almost almost free so anything over that is likely out of the question at this point.  

Hate to sound like a cheap sob but that's where I am right now. In a couple of months I can likely go for something NOS like GE or Mazda but not at the moment.  

Why do you ask? Have something interesting??  

Erwin

3/8/2005 4:27 PM
Bruce /Mission Amps

Well, $45 or less is about the going street price for a quad of 6V6EHs.  
JJ 6V6s can command a little more.  
The older black glass Russian 6V6GTs are only about $5-$7 each in unmatch boxes.  
At the voltages seen in the tweed 6V6 amps, the cheaper Russian tubes would work fine until you can score a set of NOS tubes.  

Bruce

3/8/2005 3:53 PM
Michael Camarena

Are you in the Chicagoland area? Do they need to match?  

Michael

3/8/2005 4:14 PM
Erwin
I'm in Memphis. I have an acquaintance I'll see Thursday night that works with TubeDepot so I could ask him to bring a set of tubes around.  

I'm just curious about the differences between JJ and EH.  

As far as matching, I don't think it would make too much difference as long as they were reasonably close. On my Hickok tester three of the four supplied with the kit were 4300, 4300, 4200 if I remember correctly. The weak one read 3200 and dropped to 2200 in a few seconds each time I tested it. Unfortunately it wasn't the one that died after testing.  

If I had a stock of spares I would have just popped a couple in and motored on till I can swing NOS.  

Thanks for the reply.  

Erwin

3/8/2005 4:37 PM
Michael Camarena

I have a handful of NOS 6V6's. If you were in the area, I'd let go of a couple if you come by the house. I have been given so much by so many people it's about time I share. Most of what I have was purchased for my 5F1 that's why I was asking if it had to match.  

I have a pair of RCA 6V6GT that I'm saving for the 5E3 build I'm doing now. I have GE's, Silvertones, Raytheon, and a few others.  

Michael

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>