ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

5E3 Volume Comes on Fast

2/20/2005 10:17 AM
Spiderdog
email
5E3 Volume Comes on Fast
I built a 5E3 using the Fender 5E3 schematic and layout and the amp sounds very good and puts out lots of volume. I have a problem though. The volume seems to come on almost to full volume with the volume knob barely turned. I thought it may be the pots so I changed all of them twice. I am using 1 Meg Audio pots. I also removed all the control wiring and caps and rewired it twice. I did not use shielded wire from the 12AX7 to the volume pot. Would that make a difference? Could there be another problem? Thanks!

2/20/2005 9:04 AM
Charlie Watt
email

That's the way it is with the 5E3. It's almost at full volume when the knob is at 2 or 3. There is nothing wrong with yours.  

Charlie

2/20/2005 10:01 AM
Michael Camarena
email

Any way to counter-act this tendency? Different type of pot maybe?  

I'm building a 5E3 and this is a lot of fun, but I guess you guys know that already. This is my first build and I don't plan on this amp to be operational until June. Yeah, I'm in no hurry. I'm reading and doing a little as I go along.  

The last time I had an electronics class was back in college, spring of 73. It's been awhile.  

I just wanted to write, I enjoy all the information you folks banter about. I haven't read any lively discussions, lately. What's going on folks? I enjoy all the practical technical information

2/23/2005 8:23 PM
Steve A.
email

Michael said:  

Any way to counter-act this tendency? Different type of pot maybe?  

With plenty of suggestions from Bruce Collins I added two "trick" switches to the 5E3 kit that I bought from him. Maybe I'm weird but I really like the cleaner tones from my 5E3 so I came up with a few switches to cut the gain and distortion:  

http://www.blueguitar.org/new/schem/fender/modnotes/5e3a_mod.jpg  

http://www.blueguitar.org/new/schem/blue_gtr/5e3trick.gif  

http://www.blueguitar.org/new/schem/blue_gtr/5e3modhi.jpg  

Another trick is to replace the 3rd preamp tube with a 5751 (a real NOS one if you can find it)... it cuts down the gain a bit.  

I assume that you are using a 12AY7 for the first preamp tube... IMO a 12AX7 will give you an overly-compressed sound, which wasn't what I was looking for in this amp.  

Steve Ahola

2/20/2005 10:20 AM
Spiderdog
email

Thanks for the info CW. I was curious about the volume. It does sound good though.

2/20/2005 4:40 PM
mick
email

If you need better low volume granularity, turn the unused channel volume control all the way up. The noise from the opposite channel gets introduced as well unfortunately, but at least you can control the volume more accurately. This does also seem to yield the best clean sound in my opinion.  

Mick

2/20/2005 7:34 PM
Amp Guy
How come a Victoria 5E3, which is a direct copy of the Fender circuit, has a nice, gradual taper?  

The lack of clean tone on the way to grind is something I strongly dislike about my Mission 5E3.  
I wish I could change it.

Page 1 of 3 Next> Last Page>>