ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Which Tweed Amp ?

9/16/2004 2:25 AM
JT
email
Which Tweed Amp ?
Hey Everyone......I have a Few amps under my belt (2 18 watters , JTM-45 5E3 Deluxe, and a Allen Accomplice) and with all this talk of new Tweed kist coming out i am curious to what the differences are between the models as i am not hip to the Tweed variants. Is it Just Speaker configuration or tube compliment? Wattage? How much different is the Tweed Bassman to my JTM 45 ? Which Tweed would be a good addition to my 5E3?Since i have the map listed above which Tweed would make a nice addition to my stable? As far as wattage i would be looking at 25 to 35 watts max. The Tweed super seems interesting as well. Thanks in advance for any help  
JT

9/16/2004 2:35 PM
Bruce /Mission Amps
email

The tweed 5F4/5E5A and 5E7 amps will hit around 22-24 watts with a cleanish output.  
Max output with solid guitar amp distortion is around 32watts.  
All three are really just about the same amp.  
5F4 2x10  
5E7A 3x10  
5E5A 1x15  

The Bassman is a different amp then the other three and with a much larger output tranny and 4x10 cab. I've measured those at 45-50 watts. Very similar to the JTM45 but they don't sound the same due to a few other things.  

Bruce

9/16/2004 3:47 PM
JT
email

Thanks for the info Bruce! Sounds like the three you mentioned might be the perfect gigging amp. DO thye sound different than the 5E3 other than holding out the goods a little longer? Anyone recommend a Spkr config out of those three?  
Thanks  
Again!

9/16/2004 7:05 PM
Bruce /Mission Amps
email

In my honest opinion the 5F4, 5E5a and 5E7 amps are the first of the Fender tweed, lower powered 6L6 amps that are really quite gigable by modern terms. Yes they are a bit different sounding then the 5E3... they also have true tone controls with treble and bass.  
The 5E3 is not very powerful but louder then the average 10-12watt amp and has tone out the wazoo.  
My fav tone in the 2x10 5F4 has been with a WeberVST 10A100T and a WeberVST 10F125.  

Bruce

Page 1 of 1