ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Weird heat shrink

:
2/28/2004 1:47 AM
Sheldon Dingwall
Weird heat shrink
We've seen truss-rods with a plastic heat shrink sheath. The sheath is more like blue celophane than normal heat shrink tubing.  

Anybody know what this is or where to source it?  

Thanks

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

2/28/2004 9:23 PM
neil

Some makers use a carbon fibre surround encasing a rod to effect the way a truss rod bends under tension ...it may be on the warmoth site but I cant remember where I saw it ... it might be what you'er looking at? Cant see how a heat shrink would apply/ be of use to a truss rod? Ps I'm usually wrong.

3/2/2004 6:38 PM
MKB

The Melvyn Hiscock book, "How to build an electric guitar", instructs to use standard heat shrink tubing on the truss rod. It does several things; it builds up the rod thickness to snugly fit in the 1/4" channel, fills the channel up a bit, and doesn't allow any excess glue to lock the truss rod in place. The truss rod can slide in the tubing when adjusted.  

I did it this way on my LP clone and it works fine.

3/2/2004 8:20 PM
Sheldon Dingwall

For us even the thin wall PVC tubing is too thick.

3/3/2004 3:24 PM
MKB

The truss rod mentioned in the book is one he makes himself out of a stainless steel rod. He then threads one end for the brass nut (10-24 IIRC), which is the same as a Gibson nut. I made one this way and it works fine. It was way cheap also. I used standard clear 3\8" (before shrinking) heat shrink tubing directly over the rod, after shrinking the whole thing was 1\4" OD.

Page 1 of 1