ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. The sunn still shines online!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Iraqi Prisoner Torture and Abuse

:
5/6/2004 9:58 PM
Cosmic AngelBoy Iraqi Prisoner Torture and Abuse
Here's a good article about the alleged tortures purpetrated against Iraqi Prisoners by US military personel:  

http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/?040510fa_fact  

What amazes me is that the abuse was more extensive then I originally had understood it. Some of the alleged Torture in the article includes:  

-- Breaking chemical lights and pouring the phosphoric liquid on detainees;  

--pouring cold water on naked detainees; (A favorite torture inflicted by Nazi guards in their death camps may I add often causing death due to exposure)  

-- beating detainees with a broom handle and a chair;  

-- threatening male detainees with rape;  

-- allowing a military police guard to stitch the wound of a detainee who was injured after being slammed against the wall in his cell;  

-- sodomizing a detainee with a chemical light and perhaps a broom stick  

-- using military working dogs to frighten and intimidate detainees with threats of attack  

-- in one instance actually biting a detainee.  

Also, it appears that several women allegedly were among the abusers.  

Also, some other articles I've seen on the topic allege that several murders occurred at the prison as well.  

Also, many of the Iraqis in the prison were not Iraqi military persons but common citizens rounded up for random questioning and checkpoint violations, including teenagers according to the article.  

And then there is that crazy quote from a top official at the prison allegedly saying that for many of the Iraqi inmates at Abu Ghraib, “living conditions now are better in prison than at home. At one point we were concerned that they wouldn’t want to leave." My God, didn't Hiltler say something similar about his death camps?  

Let's face it. These alleged brutal crimes were committed on Iraqi soil. So, why not turn the alleged Torturers over to the Iraqi courts and let the the Iraqis try them and dish out an appropriate punishment if they are found guilty? Anybody think this would be a good idea?  

AngelBoy

5/6/2004 10:07 PM
Free Minded Thinker
Keeping things in perspective, I think its important to remember those film clips of American contractors who were dragged through the streets, burned alive, and hung on display from bridges.  

Granted, I'm not in favor of any of the abuse that's taken place and I think that the Americans who misbehaved should be tried as war criminals.  

But if I were given a choice, there's no question that I'd rather be embarassed like an Iraqui than burned, dragged and hung like an American.

5/7/2004 4:53 AM
Dai Hirokawa

maybe you should think about such subtleties can be lost to ignorant people

5/7/2004 5:54 AM
Mark Lavelle
quote:
"I think its important to remember those film clips of American contractors who were dragged through the streets, burned alive, and hung on display from bridges."
Why? I don't see any connection at all, beyond the fact that abuse at the hands of Americans could very well be increasing Iraqi anger.  
quote:
"But if I were given a choice, there's no question that I'd rather be embarassed like an Iraqui than burned, dragged and hung like an American."
Really? At least the Americans were dead, and didn't have to live with what was done to them. I don't think I'll ever understand why people get so upset about things that happen to corpses. Once you're dead, what else could possibly matter?

5/7/2004 1:22 PM
AlChemIst
Hmmm, naked or dead... yeah I guess it doesn't make a difference.

5/7/2004 1:53 PM
anonymous
quote:
"I don't think I'll ever understand why people get so upset about things that happen to corpses. Once you're dead, what else could possibly matter?"

In western society, atrocities against the dead are generally poorly received. Governments find it useful to keep such images from public display for several reasons, but I think in general, most mothers and fathers would rather not see them for reasons that are visceral and obvious.

5/7/2004 5:06 PM
Mark L. Ingram
quote:
"At least the Americans were dead, and didn't have to live with what was done to them"

Do you *really* believe that it is better to be dead than embarrassed?!?  

People recover from embarrassment everyday. Nobody recovers from being dead.  

But, then again, I've never been dead or photographed in the nude wearing, on my genitals, the same chemical Arnold Schwarzenegger had on his teeth when he played Mr. Freeze in that Batman movie. So what would I know?

Page 1 of 7 Next> Last Page>>