ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: visit Schematic Hell!

The sunn still shines online!

:
Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

The Voice of the Enemy

:
4/22/2004 12:12 PM
Steve Conner
The Voice of the Enemy
Someone posted this  

quote:
"You also hear the voice of the enemy and of God; the trouble is that you don't have the ability to discern one from the other."

OK, so how do you discern one from the other?  

Is it actually possible, or do we only delude ourselves that it is, and conveniently forget/deny all the situations where we listened to the "wrong" one and got in "trouble"?  

Or maybe the "God/the enemy" distinction is just an example of the dualism of which us humans are so fond, and which some philosophers (and also modern psychologists like Carl Rogers) have argued is false and basically harmful to ourselves and to society?  

Maybe this way of thinking tends to split our personalities into two: a "good me" and an "evil me" which waste tremendous quantities of our energy fighting each other.  

Discuss.

4/22/2004 12:26 PM
Frank DeSalvo

Steve,  

Good questions. Briefly, there is a clear and distinct difference between the voice of the enemy and that of the Holy Spirit. Consider that 1/3 of the angels in heaven fell with Lucifer during the rebellion. They fell to the earth as you may remember and do you honestly think that they have been idle during their time here? I will greatly expound on this tonight upon arrivng from work.  

~F

4/22/2004 3:59 PM
Steve Conner

quote:
"do you honestly think that they have been idle during their time here?"

Not at all, but it doesn't answer my question: How do you tell a diabolical thought from a godly one? Who decides whether human thoughts and ideas are good or evil?  

Maybe God speaks like a BBC radio announcer, but the Devil has a heavy smoker's cough.  

Let me put the question another way: Terrorists think God is telling them to kill Americans. Americans think the Devil is telling terrorists to kill them. So whose voice are the terrorists really listening to?

4/22/2004 7:10 PM
skreddy

I think a good working rule of thumb is that God is love. I'm not just talking about the Judeo-Christian God here. I'm talking about that universal power from which all consciousness and all life finds its source, whether you're a Christian, Hindu, Buddhist, Jew, Atheist, Muslim, or whatever.  

God is life and love and peace. God is perceived in joyful, peaceful, life-affirming, loving, selfless, communal, empowering energy.  

A good signpost for operating in God's power and listening to that inner voice is the feeling of unshakeable peace and security and well-being and joy welling up from deep within, that "all is well".  

The 'enemy', the universal combatant of higher consciousness (not just the Christian 'devil') works by way of fear, ego, and power-robbing, lower energies of anger, resentment, self-loathing, frustration, alienation, judgement, hatred, etc.  

Good indications of listening to other voices are judging others, statements such as "it's not fair", "something should be done about that", "I will avenge...", feelings either of superiority or inferiority, feelings of panic, fear, violence, etc.

4/22/2004 10:09 PM
MBSetzer

those inner voices are a primary focus of some of the research into the incredibly wide disparities among humans regarding placement of the various brain functions into different parts of the brain, or even completely different hemispheres among different individuals, and there is some evidence that whether or not a thought is manifested as an inner voice in a particular language has a lot to do with how and when relative to what that particular language was *learned* and whether reading & writing were involved or just *tawking*.  

That could help explain the existence of a type of *bicameral mind* which could be considered common now but might not have always been so, and the same thoughts by the same individual would seem to be very unlikely to be interpreted anywhere near identical when one is perceived linguistically compared to completely abstractly.  

the linguistic tendencies would seem to be highly limiting, and the abstract version could be wildly unpredictable.  

I sometimes may repeat the same message, I don't try to do it verbatim ;)  

Just google on *bicameral mind* and go to the source . . . read the book  

Mike

4/22/2004 10:43 PM
steve m

Skreddy said:  
Good indications of listening to other voices are judging others, statements such as "it's not fair", "something should be done about that", "I will avenge...", feelings either of superiority or inferiority, feelings of panic, fear, violence, etc.  

God said in Hebrews 10:  

29 (1) How much severer punishment do you think he will deserve (2) who has trampled under foot the Son of God, and has regarded as unclean (3) the blood of the covenant (4) by which he was sanctified, and has (5) insulted the Spirit of grace?  
30 For we know Him who said, "(6) VENGEANCE IS MINE, I WILL REPAY." And again, "(7) THE LORD WILL JUDGE HIS PEOPLE."  
31 It is a (8) terrifying thing to fall into the hands of the (9) living God.  

God said in Romans 12:  

Romans 12  
19 (1) Never take your own revenge, beloved, but leave room for the wrath of God, for it is written, "(2) VENGEANCE IS MINE, I WILL REPAY," says the Lord.  

God said in Deuteronomy 32:  

41 when I sharpen my flashing sword  
and my hand grasps it in judgment,  
I will take vengeance on my adversaries  
and repay those who hate me.  
42 I will make my arrows drunk with blood,  
while my sword devours flesh:  
the blood of the slain and the captives,  
the heads of the enemy leaders."  
43 Rejoice, O nations, with his people, [6] , [7]  
for he will avenge the blood of his servants;  
he will take vengeance on his enemies  
and make atonement for his land and people.  

Does this sound like a God of peace and love?  

Steve

4/23/2004 12:06 AM
skreddy

Only if He's on YOUR side. ;)  

The point is, vengeance is reserved for God alone. God alone can judge; it is the prerogative of the divine, because only God can truly see anything for what it is, objectively, fairly, and without an ego or an alterior motive. The Source and Designer of all existence can surely be trusted to judge rightly.  

God has everything, can do anything, and needs nothing. There is no poverty with God, no want, and no lack of life and love and joy. There is no reason to fear in God. However, the universe has been created in such a way that there are consequences to violating certain well-known principles of behavior.  

I would not worry that some sacred writings have hard sayings in them or that some people held in high regard as holy and religious people sometimes do or say things which seem contradictory to their stated purposes. What is important is your relationship to your higher power. Right?...

Page 1 of 7 Next> Last Page>>