ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. The sunn still shines online!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: the dead sea scrolls

:
2/9/2004 6:38 PM
Frank DeSalvo
Re: the dead sea scrolls
Kursad said:  
"The meaning of the sentence in my previous post is the following: I have been a Muslim, suspected its truth and became an Agnostic/Atheist, and later I have read things about Jesus, liked his personality and teaching, but am not persuaded that he was someone more than a human being, either. World has seen many great philosophers, and authors of the sacred scriptures are among the best in terms of imagination and understanding of human nature."  

If there were no power in the Word of Christ, then I wuldn't be wasting my time and energy in its pursuit. Someone said it best when he said of Jesus: "Either He is the Son of God or He was just plain Crazy." Well, I'm not crazy and I don't follow the teachings of the delusional.  

If you really want to know what Jesus is about and you aren't afraid of committing a bit of time to Him, then study His word and apply it and watch it come alive within you. You must first accept and receive the Holy Spirit and then confess and believe with all of your heart that Jesus Christ is the son of God.  

Having done this, you have just become reborn. Really go at it full-bore and give Him a legitimate chance to come into your life and transform you; when you pursue God, He pursues you. You’ll never know and most importantly, experience the power of His Word from a superficial approach, meaning that He won’t reveal Himself to the casual reader; only to the diligent seeker will He reveal Himself, and this revelation is what makes this so wonderful, Kursad.  

Imagine having a God that acts as your Father. Imagine receiving supernatural help and guidance in every aspect of your life. For the Christian who understands the power of his God, that is what you have; a living, active, omniscient, omnipotent God that teaches, guides, disciplines, and empowers His people to do His work. That is what my God is about. My God is no god of silence and lack; He makes His presence known and leaves no doubts. You just have to be willing to accept His spirit and His Son in order to receive His wisdom and the fruits of His Spirit. This is no game and He is waiting to reveal Himself to you.  

Anyway, tell me about the dead sea scrolls, please.  

From what I understand, some shepherds in a mountain cave found the Dead Sea scrolls. The text therein confirms some of the scripture in the Christian Bible.  

~F

2/9/2004 7:30 PM
John Fisher

quote:
"If there were no power in the Word of Christ, then I wuldn't be wasting my time and energy in its pursuit. Someone said it best when he said of Jesus: "Either He is the Son of God or He was just plain Crazy." Well, I'm not crazy and I don't follow the teachings of the delusional."

Yes! If it didn't work for me I wouldn't be following it! Like I said before it's not just about logic.  
Come to think of it, don't you think it's kinda wierd that i am following some guy that was around thousands of years ago who is supposed to be the Son of God and who had a ministry that lasted only about 3 years and was killed and he suposedly was raised form the dead?? Kinda strange huh? If you look at it logically it might as well have been a pink turtle that came down from the sky riding on an orange pony. Ha! So why even try to rationalize it.  
Thanks!  
John Fisher

2/10/2004 7:33 AM
Lord et.al.
quote:
"If there were no power in the Word of Christ, then I wuldn't be wasting my time and energy in its pursuit."

There is power in his word.  

quote:
"Someone said it best when he said of Jesus: "Either He is the Son of God or He was just plain Crazy.""

That someone is probably wrong. To me he neither appears to be the Son of God, nor crazy, not at all. He rather appears to be a rational human being devoted himself to defeating false gods of the Romans, which does not serve humanity and replace them with one that loves humanity and has moral values. He (Jesus) is probably from a Jewish masonic organization devoted to the same purpose.  
This purpose when accomplished not only defeats Romans (the enemy), but is also beneficial to their (Romans') well being, also. This is the best way to defeat an enemy!:)  
quote:
"If you really want to know what Jesus is about and you aren't afraid of committing a bit of time to Him, then study His word and apply it and watch it come alive within you. You must first accept and receive the Holy Spirit and then confess and believe with all of your heart that Jesus Christ is the son of God."

I've read the John's bible.  
( http://bible.gospelcom.net/cgi-bin/bible?passage=john+1&version=NIV&showfn=yes&showxref=yes&language=english )  

Is there any others that I should read?  

quote:
"Imagine having a God that acts as your Father. Imagine receiving supernatural help and guidance in every aspect of your life. "

Seems like some people have already imagined that, and have done their best to turn the imagination into reality.;)  

quote:
"From what I understand, some shepherds in a mountain cave found the Dead Sea scrolls. The text therein confirms some of the scripture in the Christian Bible."

and.. the text belongs to a date earlier than the Christian Bible.  

K.

2/10/2004 12:57 PM
Frank DeSalvo

Kursad,  

Seems like all you've got to grasp is the faith element. While I appreciate your insight and your apraisal of who Jesus is, you must understand that the manifestation of and revelation by the Lord is no figment of one's imagination :) My imagination got me through highschool, not this. Sounds like your headed down the Jewish path of enlightenment :D  

You said:  
"I've read the John's bible."  

As I said before it takes more than a cursory glance or a casual read to receive anything form His Word; I mean the substance in His Word. "He only reveals Himself to the Diligent seeker." Not the window shopper :D  

God said:  
"My son, if you receive my words and treasure my commandments within you, so that you incline your ear to wisdom, and apply your heart to understanding; yes, if you cry out for discernment and lift up your voice for understanding, if you seek her (understanding) as silver and search for her as for hidden treasures; Then you will understand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of God."  
Proverbs 2:1-5  

"The fear of the Lord is to hate evil; pride and arrogance and the evil way and the perverse mouth I hate."  
Proverbs 8:13

You said re: the Dead Sea Scrolls:  
"and.. the text belongs to a date earlier than the Christian Bible."  

And has what to do with Jesus?  

My respect and hope rest with you in your quest for truth,  

~F

2/10/2004 1:21 PM
Lord et.al.
quote:
"Sounds like your headed down the Jewish path of enlightenment "

Forgive my inadequate understanding of English, what does this sentence mean? If you mean that I am going the way of believing the Jewish Bible, don't worry about that; I am interested in learning about that too, but believing is something else. (In fact shortly ago I was reading about Judaism from a Jewish website with Turkish content - www.sevivon.com) It doesn't hurt to learn the way other people see the world through their eyes.  

quote:
"......And has what to do with Jesus?"

The content of the scrolls (as described in that website) and that of the Christian Bible sounds suspiciously similar, as if the Christian Bible has been written or at least planned before Jesus.  

By the way, do you have a link to the other versions of the Christian bible? (e.g that of Paul, Luke and... what was the last? I've read only that of John.)  

Kursad

2/10/2004 3:09 PM
Frank DeSalvo

quote:
"Sounds like your headed down the Jewish path of enlightenment "

You Said:  
”Forgive my inadequate understanding of English, what does this sentence mean? If you mean that I am going the way of believing the Jewish Bible, don't worry about that; I am interested in learning about that too, but believing is something else. (In fact shortly ago I was reading about Judaism from a Jewish website with Turkish content - www.sevivon.com) It doesn't hurt to learn the way other people see the world through their eyes.”  

Your grasp of English is better than you think. It was a joke, man and you are correct; it doesn’t hurt to learn things from the perspectives of others.  

quote:
"......And has what to do with Jesus?"

You Said:  
”The content of the scrolls (as described in that website) and that of the Christian Bible sounds suspiciously similar, as if the Christian Bible has been written or at least planned before Jesus.”  

Half of the Christian Bible was written before Jesus physically appeared in human form. Among other things, Jesus is often referred to as “The Word” of God. Take this quote from the Book of Genesis into consideration: “In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God.” The prophets spoke of the coming of Jesus centuries, if not millennia before He appeared. See the Old Testament.  

You Said:  
”By the way, do you have a link to the other versions of the Christian bible? (e.g that of Paul, Luke and... what was the last? I've read only that of John.)”  

The sections you are referring to as “versions” are actually books within the Bible. You probably knew that, relegate this response to semantics. I will find something for you.  

Best regards,  

Frank

2/10/2004 3:22 PM
Lord et.al.
I have found another website about the dead sea scrolls (unfortunately this one is in Turkish - http://www.geocities.com/mxez/isa1.htm) but it has a different conclusion (or better say prediction) than that of mine. It claims that Christianity was inspired from a Jewish sect named 'Essenes' but it was designed by Romans themselves, more precisely by emperor Constantine to unite the empire under a single religion.  

quote:
"The sections you are referring to as “versions” are actually books within the Bible. You probably knew that, relegate this response to semantics. I will find something for you."

Thanks  
Kursad

<<First Page<PrevPage 2 of 12 Next> Last Page>>