ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Who makes the best guitar cable?

:
5/31/2004 12:23 AM
Boy Howdy Who makes the best guitar cable?
I am familiar with the Guitar Player shootout. but that was years ago. Is George L's still the best? Have there been any more recent shootouts or comparitive reviews of any sort done. Time I retired some o' these ol' dogs.

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

5/31/2004 12:32 AM
Mark Lavelle

IMHO, George L cables suck! They're way too stiff for me, enough so that I don't care how they sound.  

Those 'tweedy' Fender cables sound just fine, and look much cooler... ;)

5/31/2004 9:12 AM
Chris ( CMW amps )

Give the VoodooCables from VoodooAmps.com a try  

Chris

6/1/2004 1:14 AM
Boy Howdy
I was all set to buy some George L's. I did a search to find the best price. But then I happened upon an old Fender forum thread. The thread started out about George L's, but then somebody said that Bill Lawrence cables were the best on the market, that he had owned George's and Bill's and that the Bill's sounded much better. Later in the thread Becky Lawrence, Bill's wife, came on and said that Eric Johnson was now using their cables.  

With continued research, I found nothing that didn't sound great about the Lawrence cables. They're even cheaper (50 ft. of cable and ten plugs for $48.). I just placed an order.

6/1/2004 6:09 PM
anonymous
? I thought they were the same and that Lawrence must have sold or licensed the parts. Then again, it's old enough to be out of IP protection.

6/1/2004 6:03 PM
bob p Belden
i don't get it -- GeorgeL pays the magazines for ads, and all of a sudden his brand comes out of nowhere to be the best. its as if guitar players all think that they have to buy boutique products to get anything of quality.  

come on guys -- what's wrong with Belden cable?

6/1/2004 7:11 PM
Cole Davis

George L's have been around for a REALLY long time, way before the GP shootout. Steel guitar players have sworn by them for years. It was only recently (relatively speaking) that 6 stringers were turned onto them.

Page 1 of 4 Next> Last Page>>