ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

You hate your Gibson SG because:

:
1/19/2004 6:28 PM
Frank De Salvo
You hate your Gibson SG because:
Yet another thread...well, what do you hate about your SG??? What do you love about it??  

Here's the deal, I've always been a strat guy, but since I started having to play my friend's LP on stage, I've grown to love that T.O.M. bridge. It is one bad ass rythym guitar!! I cannot stand the crowded feeling that my fingers experience at the nut, however! I understand that the SG may be a bit wider there. Besides, the SG is lighter and would definitely help my back out when I have to do these jumps on stage.  

Let's chew the Gibbo fat! :D  

~F

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

1/19/2004 7:58 PM
jaysg

quote:
"what do you hate about your SG?[/QUOTE]My first really good guitar was an SG Std. Its 3 piece neck could have been much stiffer. IMO, that's the major variable on SGs.[QUOTE]I cannot stand the crowded feeling that my fingers experience at the nut, however![/QUOTE]Mine was an early 70's model and the nut width was narrower than the 1 11/16" most Gibsons sport. It didn't cramp my hand, but it did slow me down. Measure the nut width on the guitar you're talking about. I don't think you'll find anything wider. A '61 Les Paul SG *feels* wider at the nut, but isn't. It's something in the shape.[QUOTE]the SG is lighter and would definitely help my back out[/QUOTE]Some of the Les Paul 1960 Classics are lighter. Now that Gibson makes so many models, I believe some are chambered, not for tone as much as for weight.[QUOTE]when I have to do these jumps on stage."
Dignity at all times...and remember that SGs and Les Pauls are inhabited by native american trickster gods. They must fall off the front neckstrap button and land headstock first on the floor. It's what they do and who they are.

1/19/2004 10:58 PM
Frank DeSalvo

Thanks, Jay. I was looking at the specs and the nut is 1 11/16". I think that will be ok. I'm still deliberating {G&L vs the SG}...  

~F

1/19/2004 11:36 PM
jaysg

quote:
"G&L vs the SG"
I may be a bit of a dinosaur in terms of style, but I've never like the looks of G&L's, and fwiw, I almost always think an SG disappears on the body of the player -- it's the small body size plus the standard cherry color. (Angus Young is a small person) A white SG or a light colored Fender is more visually appealing to me. You're probably wearing a lot of black, right?  

G&L and Ernie Ball have made some inroads in the acceptability of their guitars, but to me they look funny, as in, "You're ugly and your mother dresses you funny."  

I could go on ad nauseum on the subject, but I feel like Gibson, Fender, and to some extent Rickenbacker, came up with some industrial designs that were instantly classic because they were suggestive of the female form or just incredibly hip in the case of the Flying V and Explorer. Most attempts to tweak those designs seem to break the lines and form -- the headstocks on G&Ls, the Z shaped pickups, ESP gibson-ish bodies, etc. I haven't got an Art Center graduate nearby to explain it better, but that's my 2 cents.

1/20/2004 4:44 PM
Frank DeSalvo

I just need to find a guitar that feels balanced on stage. With the LP, I find myself struggling to keep the neck from trying to point down. I also don’t like bashing my forearm on the sharp edges of the body. With the rounded neck profile, I have a hard time with bar chords while standing. Admittedly, I do sling the guitar fairly low, but not extremely. I really like the bridge, though and the crushing tone of the fat-nasty power chords. I listened to a guy playing a LP through a Mesa Lonestar amp the other night. That amp is the ultimate roots type rig! It had these chimey cleans and the overdrive was very smooth. It has to be the best Mesa yet…Anyway, I'm threadjacking my own thread…  

~F

1/20/2004 6:04 PM
jaysg

I was just plinking on a Stratosonic something or other yesterday. It's a Fender strat with two P90s and a 24.75" scale. This one was in TV Yellow...ooo:D The bridge is a one piece TOM type thing. Interesting guitar with a good neck by my standards.

1/20/2004 6:25 PM
SpeedRacer Re: I love my Gibson SG because:
1 - It was super CHEAP! :)  
2 - It has amazing intonation all the way up the neck..  
3 - Bridge Pickup power chords!  
4 - Neck Pickup Woman Tone!  
5 - They are underrated (& I love underdogs..)  
6 - simple, classic lines.  
7 - makes me feel like Angus. :) (now if it could only make me *play* like Angus..)  
8 - does not wreak havoc on your back like a LP.  
9 - stays in tune despite temp shifts, etc going from van to stage.  
10 - bending 4ths like Paul Kossof!  

What don't I like?  
1 - stock bridge PU. Replaced it with a PRS Dragon.  
2 - imbalanced.. neck always falling down.  
3 - can't really sit down and play it comfortably (see #2)  
4 - does not have low end 'balls' of a LP.  
5 - clean tone can wind up a bit on the compressed side vis a Fender which always has that "snap" to it.. just not as dynamic a guitar.

Page 1 of 6 Next> Last Page>>