ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Tubes vs Transistors

1/10/2004 4:11 AM
Mental Midget Tubes vs Transistors
Here is an excellent article that gets into the nitty gritty on why tubes sound better than transistors:  

http://www.milbert.com/tstxt.htm  

If you haven't seen it, you might find it interesting. The article goes well beyond simple harmonic analysis between the devices. Some good in depth analysis on the topic.

1/10/2004 4:20 AM
anonymous
Tubes sound pretty good - no question. But I've been recording my guitar recently direct-in to my board and then to my hard disk - clean and flat.  
I then get all my processing done digitally. I'm using Sonar XL 2.2 and my main processing tool (for guitar) is Amplitube.  
I've been pretty darned impressed and I now see no reason to do this task any other way.  
That transistor is a pretty cool device IMO.  
And so is a 6L6.  
Steve

1/10/2004 4:36 AM
Mental Midget
Yeah, SS can be good as well. I agree. I guess it all depends on what sound you are looking for. Most distortion boxes are SS. And a combo of SS distortion into a tube amp sounds real nice as well.  

I used Amplitube once with Pro Tools and found it to be a little too raspy for my liking. Although I have to admit I'm not an Amplitube expert.  

The other day I tried a SS Line-6 Kidney out and found that I instantly liked it's sound, but also found that it quickly weared on me. I found that I could not play for extended periods of time with it like I do with my tube amps.  

I was particularly drawn to the Line-6 tweed deluxe setting which I thought was fairly representative of a real tweedy. But in the end I have to admit I felt it was missing something that only a real deluxe could provide.  

Then again, I bet you that most people who buy records will groove to the line-6 deluxe setting just as well to a real tweed deluxe.

1/10/2004 5:01 PM
Mark Lavelle
email

quote:
"I was particularly drawn to the Line-6 tweed deluxe setting which I thought was fairly representative of a real tweedy. But in the end I have to admit I felt it was missing something that only a real deluxe could provide."
I have a POD that I hardly ever use, even though I think it does its job pretty well. I suspect that the key difference is that it lacks the same kind of interaction with a room that an actual amp has. If you turn on the speaker simulation and listen to it on phones you can't duplicate the "room effect" (not to mention the instant ear fatigue problem). If you play it through a tube amp it's a little better, but too hard to hit the sweet spot (I think because it's already trying to be a tube amp).  

Anybody have experience with the Line 6 amps? It seems like with them having complete control of the signal chain they could (theoretically) overcome that last objection...

1/10/2004 4:22 AM
Mental Midget
And check this out:  

http://www.milbert.com/TVTIEGA.pdf  

A "tube vs transistor" study done at Fender Musical Instruments.  

In case you are wondering, Milbert.com makes and sells tube car stereo equipment. Yeah that's right, you can run a tube stereo in your car that will blow away most SS car stereos!  

I think it's cool stuff:  

http://www.milbert.com

1/12/2004 4:03 PM
MBSetzer
email

Page 1 of 1