ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

High pitch squeal....

:
2/6/2004 7:17 PM
Aris
High pitch squeal....
New homebrew Fender 6G6 Blonde Bassman normal channel only...GZ34 rectifier, 2x6L6, 2x12AX7. Works fine and sounds great, except for the following:  

1) When I flip the standby switch off after playing, I get a high pitch squeal for a split second.  

2)Also, the Presence knob doesn't do much except at the last 10% or so of its travel.  

I've swapped the OT primary leads to the 6L6 sockets, and nothing is different.  

Any ideas?  

Thanks for your help.

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

2/7/2004 1:16 PM
Matt H

the high pitched squeal after playing is probably a cap discharging... most likely a filter cap.  

the presence knob- doublecheck your resistor values, check the pot value. it's possible you have a resistor that's labelled one thing but is actually another.

2/7/2004 4:00 PM
Aris Corkos

Is there anything I can do about the squeal? It doesn't seem to do it all the time, but it is pretty annoying...

2/7/2004 5:24 PM
Aris Corkos

The JTM45 schematic from the JTM45 Yahoo discussion group shows a .047uF cap between the standby switch and ground...would something like this help?

2/7/2004 10:01 PM
Matt H

that cap usually just kills the "pop" some amps have coming out of standby... but heck, it's worth trying it.

Page 1 of 1