ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Tube distortion with SS devices

10/8/2004 9:21 AM
Frankie N Tube distortion with SS devices
This is a serious Q for KG or other gurus who understand the deep stuff.  

There is a discussion over at MIMF which you can see here:  

www.mimf.com/cgi-bin/WebX?128@50.kZoQakFRmQi^27464@.ee8470f  

I know that folks have been trying to replace the 'old-fashioned' glass bottles for years using real and more modern SS devices. As far as my own experience goes, these attempts at tube style distortion never really cut it (although they can be interesting in there own right).  

Is this guy in the picture or what?

10/8/2004 2:28 PM
anonymous
is this a stupid hacker joke?

10/8/2004 4:04 PM
loudthud
email

Frankie,  

This is a subject I have spent many years and a small fortune on. I have not read the entire thread but will get to it this weekend. From a first glance I can say that the author is looking at many of the same things I have. His techniques can get pretty close to a tube type sound but there will always be some little nuance missing and another you created unexpectantly that you can't eliminate.  

Musicians always want the best sound possible. For electric guitars, that means a tube amp. If a SS amp was available that sounded better, it would be used. "Almost as good as" is not good enough. For certain styles of music SS bass amps are popular with bass players because, for that style, they sound better. As long as tube amps are affordable and they sound the best for the style of music muscians want to play, they'll be the first and only choice.

10/8/2004 5:57 PM
Carl Gigun
email

I read it, he's not attacking tubes or claiming that solid state sounds better. As far as I can tell he's just trying to figure out what types of clipping are created in a tube amp and if he can make a soild state stage do something similar.  

It would be nice if he used actual measurements and scope shots from an amp instead of theoretical voltages and graphs. In the text he doesn't clearly say if he even has a tube guitar amp to test, but I'm sure he must.  

-Carl

10/8/2004 6:55 PM
Bruce /Mission Amps
email

quote:
"Musicians always want the best sound possible. For electric guitars, that means a tube amp. If a SS amp was available that sounded better, it would be used. "Almost as good as" is not good enough."
And to add to that, I have MANY MANY customers that are willing to spend hundreds of extra dollars on their equipment to get that last 3%-5% of "better tone".... and to them, that means vacuum tubes are a MUST right from the start.  
Bruce

10/8/2004 8:29 PM
G. Williams
email

I think Albert King used Acoustic amps. Were they solid state? Also didn't B.B.King use Lab amps? Were they solid state?  
Why is the tone of a TS-808 so highly revered?

10/8/2004 8:36 PM
Carl Gigun
email

Yeah Lab amps are solid state. Lots of jazz players use solid state amps as well. The post Frankie linked to is about clipping behaviour, not clean playing like BB King.  

As far as I know nobody thinks a tube screamer by itself makes a great amp, but who knows.  

-Carl

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>