ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: Buying a good clean tube amp: Fender, Ampeg, Mesa?

8/17/2004 5:56 AM
P Howard
email
Re: Buying a good clean tube amp: Fender, Ampeg, Mesa?
If I were to have only one amp and it was to be a clean sounding one with character there is only a couple of choices.  

I like the Fender Twin Reverb for the BIG clean or I like the Super for semi clean..  

Don't settle for less. You can buy one good Fender and forget about the rest..I always go back to my Fender's no matter how many "Boutique" amps I go though. I have 19 amps and my Fenders always make the cut.  

I even like the RI's. I just worked on a Twin RI and biased it up and put nice tubes in it and I liked it a lot.. I would end up with nicer speakers but the stock ones sound pretty good.  

MrTubetone

8/17/2004 10:30 AM
Snapcase
email

Forget Mesa, I've had some and sold them all. If you want a good amp try some old fenders or ampegs. I've discovered old Ampegs a few months ago and I am a real fan of this brand since then. I mean old 60's and 70's amps, they're superb. If you get the chance try some Gemini or V series like VT40 or VT22. You won't be disappointed. My band mate and me bought a V2 and a B25 each one, there's no other amps for us right now, specially the B25, but this head isn't exactly clean, it has the best overdriven tone i've ever heard in my whole life.  

Another good chance for clean and huge tone are Hiwatts. try a Bullgog combo.

8/17/2004 2:07 PM
wesb
email

I love my Traynor YCV80Q, the clean channel is very nice. The reverb doesn't sound like a Fender, but it is nice. IMO, this is a great "bang for the buck" amp. It has 80w cathode biased output and 4 x 10" speakers. They also make a 2 x 12" model.  

wesb

8/22/2004 4:08 AM
Ray
email

Take a look at David Allen's site (www.allenamps.com). He builds very high quality Fender type amps.

8/28/2004 1:04 PM
Glenn
email

From what I've heard so far surfing the 'net:  

If clean is your thing, you cannot go wrong w/ Andy Fuchs' amps. The cleanest amps I've ever heard (through comp. spkrs).

8/30/2004 3:02 PM
Ian Anderson
email

a Twin reverb is the way to go for clean tones, great trem and reverb effects too. I doubt you'll ever use it anywhere near it's full power though and that a Super Reverb will be loud enough and give you a litle breakup to help carry your tone through the band mix.  

a SF Twin or Super shouldn't set you back too much, just check the speakers - I've yet to find an old twin with original speakers that aren't shot.  

... Ian :)

8/30/2004 6:56 PM
giustd
I wish I had kept my fender twin from high school, and that's my vote for the Big Clean Sound. Can't beat it.

<<First Page<Prev Page 2 of 3 Next> Last Page>>