ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. The sunn still shines online!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: oops


 :
4/3/2004 3:17 AM
Chuck Re: oops
Maybe he should have said that with a log pot any adjustment outside of the 12:00 to 3:00 range are unusable with his circuit. For whatever he's doing, he feels the log taper works best.  
 
It's not unheard of. I often use linear taper pots for treble controls and I like the adjustment range. Fender used linear taper pots for the volume controls in the reissue Bassman because it made the amp behave more like the original than a log pot did. So this guy may just be talking about his usage of the linear taper pot in his particular circuit. It may not be a general statement intended to indicate that the use of audio taper pots for volume controls is bad (which really would be silly since thats what they were designed for).  
 
JM2C  
 
Chuck
 
4/3/2004 6:49 PM
ted m stereo use of vol pots
i've owned and used in the living room, about 30 different receivers, and preamps in the living room and various rooms for stereo and home theatre, and I'd have to say that maybe 90% of the time, the volume pot never goes above 10 O'clock, and the other 10% of the time never beyond say noon or 1'O'clock.  
 
So I think there is something to those pots being designed weird, at least for stereo use, unless everybody is listening louder than us, or using way less efficient speakers.
 
4/7/2004 4:45 AM
Steve A.

ted m said:  
 
i've owned and used in the living room, about 30 different receivers...  
 
    I don't know if it is still true but it seems like most stereos used to use tapped log taper pots (if there was a loudness switch you could bet that the dual-ganged pots had taps on the back of them).  
 
    In any case the human ear does not hear linearly. If there is any argument about using log pots for a typical volume control circuit it would have to do with the taper- I think that Fender used to use 20% or 30% tapers (as compared to the typical Mouser log pot with a 10% taper).  
 
    Of course there are certain applications in a guitar amp in which you do want a linear pot. But how can someone say that all audio taper pots are crap??? ;)  
 
Steve Ahola
 
4/6/2004 1:55 AM
R ski Re: is it true?
Looking at gain issues with pedals,log pots  
are better. The problem is whether its tapper  
is clockwise or counterclockwise. Most log pots  
when used backwards will yeild the same dial response as linear pots. I noticed this  
on distortion pedals. Once the pot log pot is  
wired right,the dial response is more gradual,  
rather than slam the dial on partial rotation.
 
4/7/2004 1:54 AM
Carl Gigun

So you've found a log pot to be better for a distortion control? I really thought a linear pot would help you hover right at the clipping threshold better than a log. A linear pot is sort of a peak to peak voltage control, instead of a volume control, and it seems like you'd want to have fine control over the p-p voltage hitting the clipping element, not the perceived volume of that signal. I'm not a pedal guy though, so I'll take your word for it.  
 
-Carl Gigun
 
4/5/2004 8:31 PM
Rick Erickson

They couldn't print it if it wasn't true, could they?  
 
RE
 
4/5/2004 8:37 PM
anonymous
Nope, they can't print it if it's not true. If you don't believe me, just pick up a copy of the New York Times!
 

<<First Page<PrevPage 2 of 2