ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. The sunn still shines online!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

is it true?

:
4/2/2004 8:39 AM
jeremy
is it true?
from the foxrox website.:  

Linear taper volume pots: Instead of using traditional "Audio" or "Log" taper pots for the Volume controls, ZIM uses "Linear" taper pots. What's the difference you ask? In most cases audio taper pots allow a very small range of use. Usually, any setting outside of the 12:00 to 3:00 range is unusable. With Linear pots, the usable range is spread out to more of the pot's rotation. This takes a little getting used to, but it makes much more sense and makes it easier to dial in the right setting. Due to this different taper, the normal setting for ZIM's volume pots will occur at a lower setting, more around the 11:00 area.  

the direct link to the page is:  

http://www.foxroxelectronics.com/ZIM%20Features.html  

interesting ideas.,.  

jeremy

4/2/2004 9:12 AM
Dave H

I think they have it backwards. Log pots have a more usable taper.  

Dave

4/2/2004 9:38 AM
Carl Gigun

Depends on what you're using the pot for, right? As a volume control for an amp, an audio taper pot is essential because you're trying to match the perceived loudness up to the rotation of the pot. Saying "any position outside 12:00 to 3:00 is usually unusable" is so obviously not true for volume controls (you can turn them down pretty low and they still work) that it seems they must be talking about something else. Probably a "distortion" control, where the signal is always clipping somewhat and the linear pot lets you fine tune the exact amount of clipping. You don't want to vary the loudness there, just the tone, so a linear pot makes more sense.  

My best guess,  

-Carl Gigun

4/2/2004 9:58 AM
Dave H

You're right. I should have said "Log pots have a more usable taper for volume controls". They were talking about volume but they must mean distortion. I can't imagine anyone thinking a linear pot is better for volume.  

Dave

4/2/2004 1:25 PM
Wild Bill

Geez, obviously some guy either couldn't find or didn't want to pay for a log pot so he decided to use marketing hype instead to convince the customer he's better off!  

A linear volume pot has a reduced range to the human ear, period! (Except in the odd opamp circuit where the adjustment is in a more complicated arrangement). You need the log taper so that you can actually distinguish some difference between higher settings! The finer resolution this guy is talking about would be inaudible. He might fish in a newbie but an A/B test would set things right.  

Was this an April Fool's joke?  

---Wild Bill

4/2/2004 8:14 PM
jeremy
not an april fools. from a real website. kinda made me smile. sure he has decent wares.  

jeremy

4/2/2004 8:15 PM
jeremy oops
i meant to say im sure he builds a fine product.  

jeremy

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>