ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: James Tonestack Question

:
6/17/2004 5:02 AM
WJD Re: James Tonestack Question
"His description is accurate. The values are altered a bit. I've built it in an amp and it's very nice."  

I think a schematic of the rt.66 is in order to settle this.

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

6/17/2004 3:58 PM
bob p
quote:
"I think a schematic of the rt.66 is in order to settle this."
yeah, for those Doubting Thomases who don't know what the Route 66 tonestack looks like and have doubts that more than one person here is telling the truth, i guess you'd have to look at the schematic before you'd believe us.  

of course you know that etiquette here precludes the posting of the Root 666 schematic, and that by not posting your e-mail address you'll never be able to receive one. ;)

6/18/2004 9:15 PM
Ben N

ben.law@verizon.net  

There, I said it!

6/18/2004 9:29 PM
Ben N

I know it is OT for this thread, but I am just as interested in how he couples any tonestack to a plate-loaded high output-Z pentode gain stage. I had imagined maybe that half of the 12ax7 is a cf, and the other half a cathodyne splitter. But no, I hear it is a LTPI. Another possibility might be a dual pentode/triode tube configured as a cascode; supposedly that gives lotsa current & voltage gain. But no, it's an EF86, plain and simple. So I, too, am curious...  
Just for the record, I am not interested in going into the clone business. ;)  
Ben

6/20/2004 5:13 AM
Shea
That's pretty much what I made - An EF86 driving a James tone stack into a LTPI, driving a pair of cathode-biased EL84s. It doesn't do a lot of distortion - it starts breaking up with the volume control at about 2/3 - 3/4. I had tried using a 12AX7 input stage direct coupled to a cathode follower to drive the tone stack, but I got more drive with the EF86.  

I put the treble knob on a pot with a push-pull switch that disconnects the tone stack's ground connections when it's pulled out, for when you gotta have serious crunch. Interestingly enough, the bass control still works in that mode.  

Of course the real way to get all the gain you'd need with that tone stack would be to use both halves of a 12AX7 as successive gain stages, but I'm kind of particular about using just one gain stage followed by the the LTPI in these EL84 amps. It just sounds fresher that way.  

Shea

6/21/2004 5:53 AM
Ben N

Yup, that's what I'd like to do. But then we are back to the Rt-66--his DOES distort, in the most gorgeous way. Is it the UL connected KT-66s with no NFB? Is it the gain in his LTPI? Is is the shoes? IS IT THE SHOES??? (Oops, sorry, never mind that...)  

Ben

6/22/2004 9:09 PM
MK
[of course you know that etiquette here precludes the posting of the Root 666 schematic, and that by not posting your e-mail address you'll never be able to receive one. ;)]  

anodi1@kolumbus.fi  

Thanks!  

MK

<<First Page<PrevPage 2 of 14 Next> Last Page>>