ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. The sunn still shines online!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: Questions for Bob

:
5/15/2004 4:12 PM
Cole Davis
Re: Questions for Bob
BTW schems are here:  

http://www.tubefreak.com/mesa.htm

5/16/2004 1:30 AM
Grandor
Boogie Clone
This wouldnt be a combo, but a head (from scratch).  

- Seems like a lot of dollars,  

The aluminium I am using for the case will be free or at the least very cheap, because of a friend I have.  

The caps, pots, resistors etc will all be at a very cheap cost price, because this guy buys alot of bulk stuff.  

It will be made on 'motherboard' (thats what he said anyway) and he gave me a rough estimate of $500 (AUSTRALIAN DOLLARS (AUD)) and I could probably fit 5-7 of them on there if other people wanted them, and it would be the same price for one as it would be for 5-7 (but only one would have all the parts installed on it).  

I have some $ $ $ already, and just for you bruce, I am turning 16 in a few weeks so, if all goes well with my party there should be a very agreeable amount of money coming in.  
I have also continually stressed that I have no experience with amp design or schematics.  

So Is there any other help out there?

5/16/2004 1:52 PM
Jukka
I love this kid.  
We want the world, and we want it NOW.  
25 knobs on the front panel do you want them in one row or how do you like them to be arranged.  
I try to find time to draw you the scem.  
Jukka

5/17/2004 8:12 AM
Grandor

Dude,  
I'm not asking for the world, I just want a good amp like a boogie and was seeing if there was a suitable alternative to forking out thousands.  

knobs would go like :  

GAIN VOLUME PRESENCE (This is for the)  
LOWS MIDS HIGHS (other 2 channels too)  

Independent REVERB for each channel would be on the back of the chassis.  

SOLO (BOOST) KNOB and MASTER VOLUME would be on the right hand side of the 1st channel on the upper teir with gain ,volume and presence, but it would be off to the side.  

---------------------------------------------------  
I'm still not seeing how this will take 100 hours.  
Inputting info into computer, printing PCB board.  
Put parts in place, wave solder machine, slot into chassis, hook to pots and power supply fix exterior and your as happy as larry.  

-------------------  
I'm not meaning to sound like a kook here I'm just being honest  
btw- I already have a v-amp2 in my current rig.

5/17/2004 7:23 PM
Cole Davis

Cheaper (both in terms of $$$ and frustration) to buy one. If you're dealing with a totally custom job, troubleshooting it alone will probably take hours and hours. You're dealing with a high gain amp which means lots of possibilities for oscillation.  

To give you an idea of how complicated things can get, you want an independent reverb for each channel. Fine, that means you have to have an independent reverb pot for each channel. Doesn't sound so hard until you realize that each pot has three leads coming off it, and each pot has to be channel switched - for this you could use a relay, LDR, JFET, whatever. You have to design a proper switching system (which will require its own power supply) and then hook that into the pots.  

You can't just input a schematic into a computer and have it spit out the PCB. The layout of the amp has to be done very carefully by hand. If you start laying out parts haphazardly, you're going to get noise (hum), oscillations, shitty tone (due to capacitative coupling), etc. If you're not deaing with an amp expert already, you'll have to make several prototype PCBs before you hit on the right one (see why most boutique makers use point-to-point wiring?) Each one costs $$$.  

I get the feeling you're treating this like it's putting together a computer from off the shelf parts. Totally the opposite. It's like baking a cake with no recipe, you may have all the ingredients but put them in the wrong proportions and you end up with crap. And a cake doesn't contain lethal voltages which can literally KILL you (even with the thing unplugged and turned off!)  

Take any opinion with a grain of salt, but if you can find someone who can duplicate a Boogie at a fraction of the cost, give me their number since I'll order a hundred to sell to others!

5/16/2004 4:53 PM
Cole Davis

The caps, pots, resistors, etc. are not going to be your biggest cost. They're usually the cheapest. A pot will cost you $2US each, resistors a dime, caps under a dollar, etc.. You're going to get killed on the transformers, cabinet, speakers, tubes, etc. not to mention the labor. The only way a homebrew builder can come out ahead is (a) if they work for free, (b) consider their time to be worth nothing, or (c) want a totally personalized custom sound that cannot be found anywhere else at any price.  

Sounds like $$$ is your prime concern, if so forget about building anything and get yourself a Sansamp or Line 6 AM4.

5/17/2004 4:43 PM
bob p Re: Questions for Bob
quote:
"What amp are you starting with? Or are you starting from scratch? If you're starting from scratch, consider this: I've seen used Mark IV combos in the $1500US range. Scratch building will cost you:..."
fwiw, I saw a Mk IV combo for $900 at the Chicago Guitar Show this weekend. I couldn't believe it. It sounded great, the price was right, and I was the only guy who plugged it in during the entire weekend. Because they guy in the booth had an original Bluesbreaker with him nobody was paying any attention to the Boogies. (BTW, that Marshall sounded GREAT!)  

I'm in complete agreement with Cole -- its ALOT less expensive to just buy the finished product unless you intend to turn your project into a mission quest.  

Bruce, I'd like to ask another question along the same lines as yours -- how many amps have you already built? It it possible that this is your first project?  

If I were tackling a project like this, I'd probably separate it into multiple stages if not into multiple projects.

<<First Page<PrevPage 4 of 4