ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: visit Schematic Hell!

The sunn still shines online!

:
Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Thomas Organ Wah Mod Question

:
8/6/2004 8:38 AM
craig
Thomas Organ Wah Mod Question
Hi,  
I just purchased a new Thomas Organ Crybaby from ebay. I haven't even received it yet and I know I'm going to change the switch and make it true bypass. I THINK that I read somewhere that by doing this there might be a drop in volume when the wah is engaged? I also THINK I read that this can be prevented by changing a resistor in the circuit? Does anyone know about this? Changing the switch is no problem. I just don't know what resistor to change if there is a volume drop.  
Thanks!

8/6/2004 4:04 PM
Mark Hammer

Best advice is to go to www.geofex.com and read the papers on the technology of wahs and the document on how to stop tone sucking in wahs.  

Ironically, in a great many vintage effects, installing true-bypass switching often results in a volume boost during bypass, the reason being that traditional switching with a SPDT switch would leave the circuit board connected to the input jack and load the bypass signal down as a result. Take away that loading, and the clean signal gets louder.

Page 1 of 1