ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Motorboating Fuzz Face

8/4/2003 6:13 PM
Kerry M
email
Motorboating Fuzz Face
Just plugged in my first homebrew FF clone and was greeted with a low, flatulent *motorboat* oscillation when the fuzz control is all the way up. I could dial it out by turning down the fuzz, but as it is turned up a octave-down type of oscillation is heard. I'm using Ge trannys from smallbear and the PNP, neg ground layout from JD Sleep. Below is a link to a PDF of my perfboard layout. If anyone spots any obvious bonehead errors, or if this problem is familar, I'd appreciate any info.  

Kerry M  

http://home.earthlink.net/~kmax58/ffperfboard.pdf

8/4/2003 7:29 PM
Skreddy
email

Other than the fact that your 470 ohm resistor is wired wrong (take your -v and tie it to the junction between the 33k and the 470R), I don't see anything obvious.  

I usually end up putting a small (100R - 200R) resistor in series with the fuzz capacitor (your 22uf) because a squeal is common at full fuzz rotation. Try replacing that 470R resistor with a (correctly placed) 2k (trim)pot; you can tune things in better.

8/5/2003 6:49 AM
Kerry M
email

>Other than the fact that your 470 ohm resistor is wired wrong...  

Sorry about that- the pdf was incorrect there (pdf updated). I have the correct connection on my actual board. I was prepared for high pitched squeal, but not the low frequency oscillation I'm getting. Back to the drawing board I guess.  

Kerry M

8/19/2003 6:11 AM
Kerry M
email
Re: Motorboating Fuzz Faced - fixed
Actually I just started from scratch and built it PNP/pos. ground, after I decided to only use it with carbon batteries. Works great! Great *early Jimi* tone. Next is a homebrew Rangemaster.

8/20/2003 5:31 PM
Skreddy
email

Thanks for the update. So what did you change, if anything? Did you follow the classic FF schematic exactly?

Page 1 of 1