ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Delay construction

7/18/2003 8:46 PM
Mike Cornett
email
Delay construction
I'm not certain if this could be created with an analog circuit, or if it would have to be digital but....  

I'd be interested in a Delay where perhaps the signal is split in two. One feeding out the original signal in it's complete...the other feeding out the effected signal. Perhaps a stereo delay w/ pan and wet/dry per channel?  

The main goal in this would be to create an effect on the delay'ed signal...I'd like for the delayed signal to have an attack decay. Although, you could put any effect on the effected signal.  

Any ideas for this, or something already out?

8/10/2004 9:31 PM
Maarten
Hello Mike,  

Each delay will split up the signal in two channels, usually after the incoming signal has been buffered: the 1st channel will send the original signal to last stage, where it is to be mixed with the delayed signal, and the 2nd channel will carry the same signal to the Bucket Brigade devices (filling these buckets with your signal takes time, hence the delay). The signal to be delayed usually will be filtered before and after the BBD's, in order to separate your guitar signal from the clock-signal (which tells the BBD's at which speed they have to work). As it is fairly difficult to keep noises from the clock-signal out of the guitar-signal (especially with longer delays - which you will need, as it makes no sense to have your original signal immediately to be followed up by a delayed (and effected) signal: the latter would overrule the first), usually the signal also will be compressed before going to the BBD's, and expanded again afterwards.  

Knowing this, you could take an existing delay pedal and cut the second channel (the one that is carrying the signal to be delayed) right after the place where it is separated from the first channel (original signal). Instead of feeding the signal into the BBD's, you first can process it now, for whatever effect you need, and then connect the output of this effect to the other side of the disconnection in the second channel (in order to feed the BBD's, after filtering and/or compression).  

Remains the question: how good will this work? I must admitt, I don't know. It probably will depend a lot on the type of effect you want to give to the  
the delayed signal on this 2nd channel. E.g., I can imagine that a treble booster would not have a lot of effect (because of the filtering and comression that has to be done before the signal in the second channel can be delayed). Likewise, the sound of many overdrives, distortions and boosters may come out sounding differently from what you expected - maybe this difference will be less a lower notes than at higher notes. A phaser to effect the signal could be affected by the compression later on. Other time-connected effects (e.g. tremolo, autowah)probably wont work very well, unless you can synchronize them with the clock of the BBD's. You just will have to experiment, in order to find out whether this will give you something (some sound) that you like. But then again, that is what this hobby is all about....  

Well, just some first thoughts, hope helped you somewhat. I have no knowledge of other experiments in this direction (maybe someone else here has), so the terrain is also new to me. Well maybe a delayed autowah would make the sound more lively, but maybe the compression has to be done somewhere else. Or maybe the autowah should come after the BBD's and after expansion, but does the signal here have enough bandwidth? Hmmm, maybe there is more to this than I thought...  

Maarten

8/16/2004 2:19 PM
Alvaro salinas
email

I want to improve a digital desing using A/D converters and some memory chips to store the digital data as used in the EH 16 second digital delay.  

I'd be great to use the new DSD technology in the delay desing. Where should i start looking for information about DSP's?

Page 1 of 1