ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Hendrix' Fuzz Face settings

:
5/1/2003 7:36 AM
coony
Hendrix' Fuzz Face settings
Hi!  

I'm using the Marshall/Fuzz Face to get the Hendrix sound...I think I'm close, but I wonder if there's something wrong with where I have the FF knobs set at. Right now, the fuzz is maxed and the volume is at about of 80% turned right. I do find the sound lacks highs, that's why I'm wondering...  
Anyone has experience with this? Where do you set your FF knobs?  

Thanks!  

Best Regards,  
Koen

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

5/1/2003 8:58 PM
Skreddy

I run my FuzzFace clone (it has quite a number of tweeks and mods though, so it's not as fuzzy and compressed and lo-fi as an old one) so that the volume is at about unity gain; just a little louder than the bypassed volume (which in my setup is only about 10:00 o'clock, but I have the output/bias resistors totally different in mine from the original). I have my fuzz control cranked or almost cranked.  

Then, I control the amount of distortion with the volume knob on your guitar. At max, the fuzzface generally eats up almost all your high-end. Back off the guitar's volume, though, and you should get some sparkle back into your tone. If that doesn't do the trick, you may want to tweek the bias and/or swap transistors. Maybe try a silicon in the 1st position? Also, if you're using something smaller, try a 500k volume pot; that should also give you more high-end.

5/1/2003 9:01 PM
Skreddy

quote:
"Then, I control the amount of distortion with the volume knob on your guitar. "
That's quite a trick how I control your guitar, huh? ;)

5/2/2003 12:29 PM
BoB
I tend to use a smaller input cap, or use Joe's variable capacitor trick.  
What i have found is that turning the volume down kills the highs a little. I just leave it up full to boost hell out of my amp!  
Also, try adding a Feedback loop for some extra saturation and compression (maybe a little more gain too).  
(Don't even bother with a fuzz control on my FF's!)  

*Bob

5/2/2003 12:53 PM
Doug H

quote:
"That's quite a trick how I control your guitar, huh? ;)"

Sounds like the intro to "The Outer Limits": "For the next hour, -I- will control the fuzz, -I- will control the volume...";-)  

I agree, the big trick with the fuzz face is use your guitar volume control - a lot. There are a wide variety of tones and textures available from that one control alone...  

Doug

5/4/2003 6:04 AM
CR

Koen, To get the Hendrix Fuzz Face sound lower the fuzz control to O. Use the Level control to boost the volume of your Marshall as it's breaking up a little. Hendrix's recordings do not have a big fuzz sound. It was the combination of the distorting Marshall boosted with a little Gain and Fuzz.  

I found this little know secret using a 67 Plexi Marshall and a 68 Gray Fuzz Face with NKT 275 transistors and a Strat. I also found a great similarity with his post Band of Gypsy sound using an Orange Fulldrive and Deja Vibe into a Fender amp.  

If he were alive today he would be using the newest pedals and devices like he always was. Like the Machine pedal into a Fuzz Factory with a guitar synth and everything available.

5/4/2003 3:59 PM
Coony

Thanks for the reply's, I'll try the settings and report the results!  

Best Regards,  
Koen

Page 1 of 4 Next> Last Page>>