ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Taming Volume

9/9/2004 12:18 PM
AndyH
email
Taming Volume
For gigs, is there a preferred way to tame the volume of the louder 2x6L6 tweed amps but still retain power amp crunch ? Some of the great amps are way too loud for us ordinary mortals who don't play stadiums.  

Possible options are i) drop B+ voltage using zeners ii) switch rectifier tube iii) pull a speaker out of a multi-speaker setup (impedance issues aside) or iv) use a variable load dump.  

I suppose one other way might be to build a 5F4 in a 1X12 or 2x10 format and then use an extension cab when the going gets tough.  

The ideal scenario would be to have a Deluxe, a Super and an LP Twin or Bassman, but I don't have the room or the money ! Any views ?

9/9/2004 1:00 PM
BP
I've been using the MASS by Weber on my 5E3. It's great for playing at lower volumes and retaining the crunch of a turned up amp.  

http://www.webervst.com/mass.html  

bp

9/9/2004 2:05 PM
AndyH
email

I am going to get one for home use with my 5E3, but i didn't know whether they were tough enough for gigging with.

9/9/2004 2:53 PM
Al Lang
email

Try using a 12Ax7 in first stage, also try some Russian 5881s or 6L6s that are soft (break-up sooner). Maybe a Groove Tube early break-up number. Al

9/9/2004 3:14 PM
AndyH
email

Thanks Al. Hadn't thought of that.  
Andy

9/10/2004 1:51 PM
Jammin' John
email

Put JJ 6v6's in & rebias & unhook one speaker.  
Use a load dump.  
JJ

Page 1 of 1