ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

5e3 deluxe as a 15" tweed pro?....

8/3/2004 5:27 PM
triode rob 5e3 deluxe as a 15" tweed pro?....
how well would 5e3  
work set up in a tweed pro  
type cab, with 15" speaker?

8/3/2004 5:31 PM
Steve L

I would expect it to sound VERY FAT. I once had a really nice Altec 15" speaker that would be great in that amp.....ah, the old days.....

8/4/2004 12:39 AM
Todd

I am currently in the process of getting a 15" JBL D-130 reconed to use with my Mission Amps 5E3 and 6L6 tubes. I have been shopping around pricing different cabinets for the same. I am looking to make my 5E3 usuable with my pedal steel and going for a Chet Atkins vibe with my hollowbody guitar with a Bigsby. I am hoping for great things!

8/8/2004 1:25 PM
Tedd

I was thinking this same thing. The 5E3 circuit has so much bass, would this improve the quality of the bass or just enhance it? I am still tweaking out the bass demons. I ended up using the 12" cabinet I bought for an 18 watt lite amp that was ready to go. The cabinet resonance was bad for my 5E3 (too bassy)when cranked. That probably could have been resolved as it sounded great otherwise. Going to tweek some coupling caps. As I am running my amp close to Pro conditions, why not use a Pro cab?  

Tedd

8/27/2004 1:13 PM
Tedd

Sorry for ressurecting an old topic...  

I will be putting my chassis in a 15" combo cab soon and would like some speaker advise. I am leaning toward the Weber 15A125 AlNiCo. Anyone have any good experience with this or other 15" speakers? I probably lean toward cleaner blues tone using RI strats for this amp (I give up on humbuckers, my 18 watt lite does that better).  

Update on my amp. After using 6L6s in the amp I decided that they were the cause of the overly bassy response (rattling the walls type bass). I put JJ 6V6s back in with a 300 ohm cathode resistor and components back to 5E3 spec and I am happy. I might try a lower voltage transformer that has a 5V out for using 5Y3 rect. I have a hommond 270DX (270-0-270 90 mA)that was for an EL-84 project or I might try the weber dual voltage that Ted m is using.  

Thanks,  

Tedd

8/27/2004 4:54 PM
Todd Hepler maybe a P15R ?
Hello Tedd,  
I recently found an old motorola record player in a thrift store. This marks my first jensen speaker score, I now have a very nice P15R. I have been using my 5E3 clone (All stock components-no 'farty' tweaks) through this cab (open back) and have to say it sounds great!  

There is a nice high freq response that was'nt there with the 12" from my 5E3 cab (some no-name alnico PA speaker from the early 70's). And, as expected, the bass really extends low - if you are a heavy-handed picker this speaker might not suit you. The bass is very even in volume with the mids and highs, and is certainly describable as pleasing. Also - the jensen adds it's own distortion colors that my 12" did not - very cool.  

I am contemplating making the P15R into an extension cab for the 5E3. Or a separate amp to run in stereo with my 5E3 : I still have the amp from the record player to deal with : Tung Sol 6V6's, 5Y3, and a couple of GE 12AX7's!  

-Todd

8/27/2004 10:36 PM
Tedd

Jensen still makes a P15N, which is about $50 more than the said Weber AlNiCo speaker. I am thinking that the larger speaker will carry the bass better than a smaller speaker and I dont have an amp that has a 15" speaker and this seemed like the time. I like the separate cab idea as well. I think my future amps will become heads to lower the cost of building. I have a Mesa 4-10 cab that I use now for testing.  

Tedd

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>