ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. The sunn still shines online!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

2xEL84 Deluxe?

:
7/13/2004 12:18 PM
Chris - CMW amps
2xEL84 Deluxe?
Hi all,  

Just got in a nice old PA-amp with 5 noval sockets for pre(2x), ouput(2x) and rectifier.  

Anyone build a 5E3 using EL84s as outputtubes? Just wondering what to do with this beauty.....  

tia!  

Chris

7/13/2004 12:55 PM
ted m

I'd consider an EZ81 based 18w marshall type amp.

7/13/2004 1:05 PM
Chris - CMW amps

Hi Ted  

After figuring out how to lower the output-tube-grids-drive a Marshall 18Watt or VOX/Matchless style circuit seems like a better option.  

So another FAT15 ( http://home.hetnet.nl/~chrisdus/fat15.gif ) 'cause it's the same donor. Also with an EZ81 rectifier, and an EF86 pre.  

Anyway : thanks for your toughts!  

Chris

7/13/2004 1:19 PM
ted m

cool looking amp!!

7/13/2004 2:23 PM
Chris - CMW amps

thanks !  
That one was sold some time ago , the "new" one is still boring grey/black/alu ; time for a paint-job , new circuit/OT and a PaisleyPanel :)  

Chris

7/13/2004 2:43 PM
Todd

Chris,  
Instead of making the same exact amp, why don't you try moving the EF86 into the second preamp tube spot like a mid-period Matchless Clubman or old Selmer Zodiac. I recall a thread on the AX84 Discussion board about the different sound the EF86 makes in the first preamp spot versus somewhere after the first spot. The consensus was that having an EF86 first creates great touch dynamics and sensitivity but that having the EF86 between the first preamp stage and the PI smoothes out and compresses the sound more and adds more pentode gain characteristics to the overall sound. Sounds like an interesting amp that approaches the EF86 a little differently than current Matchless/Dr.Z/etc. crop of EF86 amp.

7/13/2004 3:13 PM
Chris - CMW amps

Hi Todd  

Thanks for your suggestions but I've only room for one pre-tube besides the PI , output and rectifier ....  

Chris

Page 1 of 3 Next> Last Page>>