ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Pickup tape

5/26/2003 6:38 PM
Mike
email
Pickup tape
Ive wound quite a few pickups now and have been using black electrical tape to wrap around the coils and they look like shit. What tape do the big guys use and where can I get some. Thanks

5/26/2003 8:18 PM
David Root
email

3M No. 11 acetate cloth tape, 1/4" wide, available from Essex-Brownell, 1-800-805-4636. Sandy will take your order. It's cheap, about $3.00 for 60 yds and it is the real stuff!!

5/29/2003 5:35 PM
Mark Hammer
email

I've been recommending to folks to stick a few turns of teflon plumbers tape around the coil first before putting on any tape that uses adhesive. The teflon stuff is ultra-thin, cheap, and conforms to the coil very nicely, not to mention the fact that the typical width is just right for pickup coils. That way you can stick on an adhesive-backed tape over top of it without fearing that you might tear the coil, should you ever want to remove the outside tape.

6/8/2003 4:48 PM
David Root
email

That's a good idea, I think I'll try it. I just did several HB repairs/rewinds that would have been a lot easier if they'd been teflon taped. Thanx for the tip!

7/5/2003 5:02 AM
Fred Hammon
email

According to Sandy, a minimum order for 3M No. 11 acetate cloth tape is about 50 bucks. That buys a whole lot of tape. Does anybody know where to buy just one roll instead of a case of them?

7/5/2003 4:27 PM
Dr. Strangelove
SK will sell that tape inexpensively over at AMPGE.  
<http://www.ampge.com/components.htm>  

For exotic tapes like Kapton, UHMW polyethylene, or teflon composites, CS Hyde, Inc. has direct sales.  
<http://www.cshyde.com/tapecat.htm>  

-drh  
--

7/5/2003 7:35 PM
Fred Hammon
email

Thanks.  
I was specifically looking for 1/4" wide. They only list it in 3/4" at AMPEG. I'll write and ask them.

Page 1 of 4 Next> Last Page>>