ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

answers for the below novice

:
2/23/2003 5:20 AM
greentrees answers for the below novice
Hello there,  
I had a couple of questions about pickups and winding and stuff.  
How many times are stock strat single coils wound on average, and how many times more is it usually wound in the bridge pickup to make it hot? If the poles aren't staggered is it possible to stagger them myself like by hammering or something? Also, when winding, does it matter how organized the winding is, or is tension the most important thing to worry about?

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

2/23/2003 3:10 PM
David Root

If you get the wire tension right, the following no. of turns corresponds to the shown DC resistance. These figures are averages from actual '54 to '64 instruments measured by Seymour Duncan in the '70s.  

7,850 5.90K  
8,100 6.00K  
8,220 to 8,350 6.20 to 6.40K  

What is known today as a vintage calibrated set would be neck 5.90K, middle 6.15K, bridge 6.40K.  
Modern hot bridge would be 7.5K, which in my experience is around 9,500 turns.  
No you can't stagger a flat set in an already assembled pickup. You'll rip the coil apart and kill thge pickup. If you're assembling a Strat bobbin with magnets of the same length, you can pop the two middle ones up about 10 thou above the others and they will still have a decent fit in the lower flange. This will give you a rough 12" radius which is good for modern necks. There isn't enough lower flange to do a full '50s or '60s stagger with a flat set of magnets, you would have to buy staggered sets.  

When winding, tension is important as a loose coil sounds poor and will likely be microphonic. There should be plenty of scatterwinding of the coil wire back and forth across the bobbin width as you wind. If you look at old vintage Strat pickups, some of them have pretty funky looking coils because they were hand guided by folks who didn't always get the bobbin centered on the bobbin plate, or wound more to one side of the bobbin, not centering the coil mass evenly between the bobbin flanges. All these funky coils can sound just as good as an evenly wound coil. So don't worry if the coil's not totally symmetrical, with Strats it's not a big deal.

2/23/2003 5:27 PM
Andy

I agree with everything DR said in his mail above apart from the part relating to tension.  

With strat pickups tension has to be constant but it certainly doesn't need to be tight.  

If you wind a Strat loosely you'll get a brighter more toppy sound than with the same number of turns wound very tight and neat.  

Strats are one of the few pickups that you can literally just throw the wire on and they'll sound good, leastwise 9 times out of 10.  

But the looser you wind the greater the importance of potting to dampen or suppress microphonics.  

Andy

2/23/2003 5:52 PM
David Root

Andy is more experienced than I am, so I definitely defer to his opinion, and Strats are more forgiving than most in that respect. In general, though I think loose winding is not a good idea because of the microphonics problem.

2/23/2003 9:14 PM
Gunno

David ,  
You wrote "If you're assembling a Strat bobbin with magnets of the same length, you can pop the two middle ones up about 10 thou above the others and they will still have a decent fit in the lower flange".  
10 thou ? How much is 10 thou ?  
That's for 12" radius ,how about 9 1/2" , 10" and other radius ?  

Gunno

2/24/2003 12:17 AM
David Root

Based on a pair of J-bass pups I made last year. I used a StewMac 12" fretboard radius and that's roughly where it came out. Ten thou is 0.010". Differences from radius to radius are pretty tiny. Difference between 9 1/2 & 10 would be less than 0.001"! Not that important.

2/24/2003 10:22 AM
Gunno

Thanks for answering David ,  
Are there any mathematical way to this ?  
Let's say someone wants pickups for an unusual radius.  

Gunno

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>