ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Gauge & bobbin question

2/20/2003 1:56 AM
evad
email
Gauge & bobbin question
Hi all!  

I'm just about ready to spin up my first pick-up and I had a few questions.  

I have a 2lb spool of 40 guage magnet wire and I'm planning on making a P-90. I have the design for the bobbin all drawn up accurate on my computer and it would be easy for me to make it 5% bigger before I construct it to handle the thicker winding. Should I do this? Or will the standard size P-90 bobbin work? I'm building my bobbins so I can make it either size. what do you think?  

I was also thinking about using tiny machine screws to attach and solder the coil and lead wires to instead of eyelets. will that work?  

And off topic; Could someone please tell me, on a resonator guitar, whats that handle shaped metal bar that runs across the front of the cone and the strings run under called? what does it do?  

Thanks for sharing!!!!

2/20/2003 3:35 AM
Jason Lollar
email

youll have to make the coil taller and wider if you want to get to 10,000 turns, I wind alot with 38 gauge and the coils are huge.  
I dont know of an accurate way to predict coil size without trial and error.  
Someone has a program that determines coil size around here although I have never tried it and dont know what perameters it takes into account.  
Use eyelets, I used copper posts along time ago and they were tough to solder to properly.  

the strap on the dobro or national is a hand rest and it keeps you from crushing the cone. Slam you hand down a few times without it and the action will get all screwed up and the cone will eventually deform beyond repair.

2/20/2003 6:07 AM
SK
email

yeves developed that program, and it takes into consideration height width, core ht width (or polepiece size/spacing basicly), wire guage and amount of "scatter". whatever was left out was solved for (pretty much anyways) Pretty cool little prog, but I haven't seen the last version I don't think...

2/20/2003 1:13 PM
Adam Ziegler
email

Yeves may have developed a program, but from your description it sounds like the program I designed. If anyone wants to try it out, e-mail me, and Ill send you the latest version. Ive been a bit behind lately since ive been busy at work, but Ill work on getting the new version out tonight.  

-Adam Ziegler

2/20/2003 2:36 PM
SK
email

Damn Adam, of course you're right! VERY sorry about that!  
Btw, send me the latest version, and do you mind if I make it avail for download?

2/20/2003 4:02 PM
evad
email

Thanks for the reply guys much-o appreciated!  

Jason & SK your sites are awesome. Again thanks so much for sharing your knowledge.

Page 1 of 1