ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: visit Schematic Hell!

The sunn still shines online!

:
Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: Why NOT scatterwind?

:
9/7/2002 8:43 AM
Ralph
Re: Why NOT scatterwind?
Thanks.great discussion guys  
But what else can be done besides scatterwinding?. What about tightness/looseness of the coil, for example?  
Ralph

9/7/2002 8:07 PM
WolfeMacleod

Ralph  
I adjust tension quite a bit in the middle of winding to achieve different characteristics.  
I'll often start loose in the beginning, and tighten as I go, or tight in the beginning, loose in the middle, and tight at the end.  
I can't really explain what it does, I just know it works for me to get what I want.  

Wolfe

9/8/2002 4:16 AM
Ralph

Hey Wolfe,  
Thanks for the advice. But,what do you mean? Does ajusting the tension during winding increase a pickup's responsiveness?  
Ralph

9/9/2002 8:37 AM
Ralph

Guys?

9/9/2002 8:59 AM
WolfeMacleod

Ralph  
Yes, it does things to tonality and responsiveness. I can't really give you a breakdown of what does what, because of the way it works for me. You see, when I wind, I'm able to form a mental image (or, sound in this case,) of what a pickup is going to be like while I'm winding it. If I find my mental "image" is getting too bright for example, I might back off the tension and scatter the wind more.  
I can't explain it in depth. It's just something I do.  
I also use various wind patterns, such as "X"ing across the coil at slow speeds, winding a few hundred turns near the top, then near the bottom, lumping the centre until it falls over on itself, then levelling it out (sometimes several times)  
In one of the first pickups I ever wound, I had started the coil near the bottom, staying on the lower half of the magnets. When I reached a point maybe 1/3rd the way into the coil, I started moving towards the top of the magnets, which brought the coil wire back right against the magnets. The sound was indescribabley warm, but still very clear.  

Wolfe

9/9/2002 1:55 PM
Tony@Mastertone

Ah, Wolfes seeing those images again... time for your medication mate...don't worry we won't tell anyone.  

Tone

9/9/2002 9:55 PM
WolfeMacleod

Mmmmm...beeeer...

<<First Page<PrevPage 2 of 4 Next> Last Page>>