ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. The sunn still shines online!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: PAF enhancement

:
9/4/2002 6:10 PM
anonymous Re: PAF enhancement
I have a set of Unbuckers in my 335 copy. I think they are 3K/5K neck and 4K/5K bridge. If I could go back and do it again (which Lindy would've let me but I'm not pulling the guts out of that guitar again!), I'm not sure if I would get unmatched coils on the bridge p'up but definitely would on the neck p'up. It's far and above the best sounding neck humbucker I've ever played. Much more clarity and less woofiness than any other humbucker I've tried except maybe the DiMarzio Humbucker From Hell (the Fralin sounds better but the HFH has a LOT of high end clarity). But remember, it isn't 100% hum cancelling when the coils are not evenly wound but it's not too bad (it ain't as bad as a single coil). But I have not compared these with Fralin 'regular' humbuckers so take with salt.  

HTH  

Matt

9/4/2002 8:39 PM
MKB

You bring up an important point, Matt. The winding mismatch will affect the hum rejection to a certain degree. The one I built has a cover, which is probably why it is quiet. I didn't notice much of a hum increase from before I mismatched the coils. The coils were matched within a turn or two when originally wound (I used a mechanical counter and was careful).

9/5/2002 5:32 PM
Bjorn

Hi, Great that the PMF has found a new home.  
Interesting discussion!  

MKB, are you sure that the slug coil measured lower than the screw coil?  
I posted a "HB mismatch question" at the old forum based on measurements on SD Pearly Gates and SD '59.  
In each of these PU's the slug side measured higher.  

'59 bridge: Slug 4.4 kOhm, screw coil 4.1 kOhm.  

:-)  
Bjorn

9/5/2002 5:58 PM
MKB

Hi, Bjorn. The link I had on a previous post (for the Fralin Unbucker) stated the higher resistance on the screw side. I think you want more turns on the screw side on the bridge position as that would sense more highs. That's what I did on mine and it did help the highs.  

The specs you posted for the '59 bridge, could the small resistance difference be due to a true winding number mismatch, or differences in winding tension?

9/5/2002 7:34 PM
Bjorn

Hi, Bjorn. The link I had on a previous post (for the Fralin Unbucker) stated the higher resistance on the screw side. I think you want more turns on the screw side on the bridge position as that would sense more highs. That's what I did on mine and it did help the highs.  

OK, that’s interesting info.  
My initial Q to the old PMF was to inquire if the mismatch, which seemed intentional, was based on measures from actual PAF’s. I think Jason Lollar answered that that was the case.  

The question of mismatch is interesting also in view of the ongoing discussion concerning matched/unmatched PI and power tubes in an amplifier.  
Does mismatch enhance or kill desired harmonics…  

The specs you posted for the '59 bridge, could the small resistance difference be due to a true winding number mismatch, or differences in winding tension?  

Beats me,  
The three SD PU's I measured was pretty consistent, about 5-10% higher on the slug side.  

Thanks for responding!  
Bjorn

9/4/2002 10:42 PM
SK

9.4k w/ 42 is too hot, try 7.5k

9/5/2002 12:37 AM
Dick

Hello,  
Yes, now I am going to try 1 coil at 4K and the other at 3, so that is considerably less than the 9.4K I was using  
Hey- thanks alot for your help, everyone  
Dick

<<First Page<PrevPage 3 of 3