ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. The sunn still shines online!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: PAF enhancement

:
9/2/2002 11:27 AM
Dick
Re: PAF enhancement
I prefer to use cat piss- my pickup sounds like a straggled cat- it might as well smell like one too ;)  
Dick

9/3/2002 11:29 AM
Dick

I tried it with the 42- but still a bit muddy and not bright enough. Any further ideas? Please? Please?  
Dick

9/3/2002 11:53 AM
MKB

How many turns did you use on the coils?

9/3/2002 2:05 PM
Dick

I think in the vacinity of 5ooo turns- although I measure to resistance, not windings.(9.4K total)  
Dick

9/3/2002 4:04 PM
MKB

Here's a few things to try (please take them with a grain of salt as I am not a pickup maker, just a hobbyist that has built a few from scratch).  

Use a more powerful magnet, sometimes weaker magnets can make a pickup sound darker. If you have several magnets lying around, maybe try exchanging them to see if that helps.  

A high end pup maker (Fralin?) has a technique where one coil of a humbucker has around 10% (IIRC) less turns than the other, this is supposed to change the sound a bit. I did this on a homemade bridge humbucker, where the slug coil had fewer turns than the screw coil. This made the pickup livelier with more sparkle. I really liked the effect.  

You may also have enough turns on the pickup so that it sounds dark, most Gibson humbuckers I have seen are around 7.5 to 8k.

9/3/2002 4:15 PM
MKB

Here's a link on the Unbucker:  

http://www.custom-sounds.com/lindygibson.htm  

The resistance ratio is 3k slug coil, 4k screw coil.

9/4/2002 1:53 AM
Dick

Thanks man, I think this is EXACTLY the info I am looking for.Thnks heaps  
Dick

<<First Page<PrevPage 2 of 3 Next> Last Page>>