ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. The sunn still shines online!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

PAF enhancement

:
9/1/2002 11:56 AM
Dick
PAF enhancement
Hello once again,  
At the moment, I am currently attempting to wind a PAF type bridge humbucker. I have rewound it several times, and whilst it sounds pretty good, I can't work out how to get a more clear sound (its a bit muddy), as well as a bit more jangle out of the pickup. I have wound to about 9.4 K each coil- I dont think I have overwound as it is not a high output pickup. I was hoping for some advice on how to achieve these results.  
Thankyou all again,  
Dick

9/1/2002 4:29 PM
anonymous
what wire are you using 44, 43? Generally for clearer use a heavier wire at a lower output (i.e. 42 at 7.5k). Lower output with same wire is a step in that direction. But there's more too it, how tight and uniform the windings are etc...

9/1/2002 4:32 PM
sk
what wire are you using 44, 43? Generally for clearer use a heavier wire at a lower output (i.e. 42 at 7.5k). Lower output with same wire is a step in that direction. But there's more too it, how tight and uniform the windings are etc...

9/2/2002 1:39 AM
Dick

Hi,  
I am using 43. The pickup is not sounding compressed or even overwound, but it still sounds a bit muddy and could do with a bit more top end sparkle. The windings are tight. Thanks  
Dick

9/2/2002 7:27 AM
Andy

Dick,  

Did you really mean to write 9.4k per coil?  

If you did then thats why your pup sounds muddy.  

With 43 gauge and for a light sparkly tone you wouldn't need to go above 4.5 or 5 kohms per coil for and overall dc output of around 9 or 10.  

And even then you'll notice that its slightly darker than a standard PAF try 42 gauge if you've got it.  

Andy

9/2/2002 7:50 AM
Dick

Sorry Andy- your right. I did mean overall. Ill try the 42 instead.  
Thank you  
Dick

9/2/2002 10:03 AM
Tony@Mastertone

Dick  

And don't forget to take the completed pickup out the back and let the dog piss on it... soak it in 30 years of passive cigarette smoke and pour beer all over it to capture that real vintage tone...  

Isn't that what SD does to his Antiquities...  

Hehehehehe, I'm so mean..  

Tone

Page 1 of 3 Next> Last Page>>