ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Iraqi Looters

4/12/2003 1:38 AM
LFOscalator Iraqi Looters
Looks like there is pure mayhem in Iraq. People looting and stealing things beyond control. And these are the people we spilled our blood for to free them from the ravages of Saddam Hussain.  

I'm not a fan of Saddam and personally feel the world will be a better place without him, but his countrymen seem like a poor bunch to waste American lives on.  

LFO

4/12/2003 2:21 AM
Skreddy
email

If you recall just a few short years ago, it took considerably less than the total collapse of our government to spur riots, destruction, and looting in LA.  

Don't be so quick to judge; I think it's only human nature to react that way. Governments exist for a reason; even unjust governments. Anarchy is not the cool thing punkers make it out to be.  

I hope some good cultural and spiritual seeds are planted and cultivated in Iraq over the next several years. Out of this hardship will emerge a stronger people with a sweeter spirit. You may yet find yourself inspired by them.

4/12/2003 3:45 AM
Frank DeSalvo
email

I agree, Skreddy. They aren't doing any harm. Most of the things they are looting are from gov buildings anyway. This is just a transitional period.  

~F

4/12/2003 4:37 AM
Tom Dellinger
email

That is a sad sight. However, it's hard to feel bad about people ransacking the home of Tariq Aziz or the palaces of Saddam. The thing I worry about is that apparently there are people with weapons forcefully taking medical supplies from hospitals. The situation at one hospital got so bad, all the staff have now left; afraid to even show up there. People are arming themselves in an attempt to protect their own possesions. It's really bizarre, but I thought of the LA riots after the Rodney King incident as I was watching this on TV tonight. I think it will take a long time before anyone could realistically say whether this war has been worth the loss of American lives. Though it's not likely, they could still end up with a government that is brutal, who knows? What, if in the long run, they end up with a regime that is hostile to our interests? A regime that is democratically elected and is legitimate in the eyes of the world. A fundamentalist Islamic state comes to mind. Entirely possible, I believe. I believe many Americans have high expectations in this matter. If I remember right, Daniel Ortega of Nicaragua was deomcratically elected, but was hostile to our interests. For the moment, I will be happy for the people of Iraq and pray that the madness ends soon and they are able to resume their lives in the diginity they deserve.

4/12/2003 4:13 PM
Steve A.
email
Iraqi Looters... stealing from you and me!
Tom:  

What, if in the long run, they end up with a regime that is hostile to our interests? A regime that is democratically elected and is legitimate in the eyes of the world. A fundamentalist Islamic state comes to mind. Entirely possible, I believe.  

Good point, but as long as the Iraqis are free to elect their own government representatives that would be a big improvement over Saddam's regime. Of course our oil companies might not be happy with that result... :D  

BTW in reading the news this morning it seems like everything not nailed down or being guarded with a gun is open season for the looters... redistribution of the wealth?  

In the end all of the looting will just make it more expensive to rebuild Iraq, so the looters are really stealing from the taxpayers of the U.S. and whatever other countries will be footing the bill. :(  

I understand that the troops have been given orders to intervene only if it is weapons that are being taken. Which is understandable since they are still liable to be attacked by the remaining Iraqi forces.  

What is not understandable was the big rush to invade Iraq when we were not prepared to protect the Iraqis from themselves... we would have needed an invading force at least twice as large as we had to be able to leave enough troops behind to maintain law and order in the cities that we have "liberated".  

--Thanks!  

Steve Ahola

4/12/2003 4:26 PM
LFOscalator
Steve, I completely agree with your statement:  

"In the end all of the looting will just make it more expensive to rebuild Iraq, so the looters are really stealing from the taxpayers of the U.S. and whatever other countries will be footing the bill."  

I think the US taxpayer is about to be looted!  

LFO

4/12/2003 4:52 PM
LFOscalator
Hey and it's not only Iraq that is looting us:  

TURKEY: Didn't those turkeys get paid a billion dollars or so that we could use their air space? With allies like that who needs enemies.  

AFGANISTAN: The other day it was announced that the US forgave the afgan government a billion or so dollars in debt. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. So what was that billion spent on? Do you think maybe some afgan government official's bank accounts are a little larger these days? Of course not, it's all humanitarian aid - right?  

ISRAEL: The perenial bottomless hole for US taxpayer money. Part of the US package recently passed by congress to finance the war included a very large amount of money to be paid to Israel to in part keep them from entering into the war, if they had been attaked by Iraq.  

Wake up America. We are being fleeced.  

LFO

Page 1 of 6 Next> Last Page>>