ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Is Syria next?

:
4/1/2003 5:58 AM
tom dellinger
Is Syria next?
I caught a sound bite of Colin Powell on the news tonight as he was delivering a speech. He spoke most forcefully about Syria's role in building Iraq's current military strength and alluded that they are responsible for any role they may have played. The crowd loved the tough talk and cheered jubilantly. Sounded like some serious saber rattling to me.

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

4/1/2003 10:35 AM
Kursad K
Yep, Syria had supports PKK, a communist Kurdish terorist organization responsible for 30000 lives lost. In fact Iran supported PKK too, both are terrorism supporters. Both have wicked regimes. What is more, that's even true! (We will even give you a vote in UN). You can choose any! Well, in fact Soviets, Greece and Italy have supported PKK too. When is their turn? Be honest, any terror supporter must be punished without discrimination by Dubya, Jr. who is the ultimate blessed sinless judge, perhaps Jesus is back already! Probably S.Arabia and Jordan support Palestinian suicide bombers, their turn must come too! But S.Korea and its nukes will be handled peacefully because there's no lemon oil there, so it's not worth a preemptive strike.  

Kursad

4/1/2003 11:10 PM
Fran

Do you think it's possible that while "liberating the Iraqis", we could piss off the PKK and turn them against us? (the U.S)

4/2/2003 12:54 AM
Skreddy

I'm pretty sure we're (the US) are already making ourselves busy in Northern Iraq bombing and raiding PKK hideouts and bases. Which makes me wonder by Turkey isn't happier about this war.  

Kursad; do most Turks consider Kurds to be essentially the same thing as PKK? Or can the Turkish imagine Iraqi Kurds governing themselves democratically and abstaining from terrorism and basically getting along with their neighbors without the threat of Saddam hanging over their heads?

4/2/2003 1:19 AM
Ross M.

The way I understood it, there are Kurds in much of Turkey too.  

I wonder why we still aren't hearing anything about the PKK on the news? Seems like you'd see it as a subtitle at least by now. I suppose they are probably simply referring to them as Kurds.

4/2/2003 2:51 AM
Kursad K
[QUOTE]I wonder why we still aren't hearing anything about the PKK on the news? Seems like you'd see it as a subtitle at least by now. I suppose they are probably simply referring to them as Kurds.  
[/QUOTE]  
Probably, but they are now using the name KADEK, and given up terrorism, at least temporarily. (see my reply to Fran)  

Kursad

4/2/2003 2:49 AM
Kursad K
quote:
"I'm pretty sure we're (the US) are already making ourselves busy in Northern Iraq bombing and raiding PKK hideouts and bases. Which makes me wonder by Turkey isn't happier about this war."

There are Turkish troops in Iraq doing that already since the first Gulf war. No US is not bombing PKK bases. It's just trying to prevent the arrival of more Turkish troops to the region! Not that US supports PKK, but it does not want to make Kurds upset either.  

quote:
"Kursad; do most Turks consider Kurds to be essentially the same thing as PKK?"

Of course not.  

[QUOTE]Or can the Turkish imagine Iraqi Kurds governing themselves democratically and abstaining from terrorism and basically getting along with their neighbors without the threat of Saddam hanging over their heads?  
[/QUOTE]  
Actually Barzani had helped our fight with PKK. We had pretty good relations with him until the US-Iraq war. This has changed because for some reason some deep thinker in the army think that an independent Kurdish state will be a threat to Turkey. Probably by causing the Kurds of Turkey to want to separate from Turkey to join Kurdistan. I have never understood that fully, and this approach must be questioned. But the problem is that the military has always had influence on Turkish politics, so governments change, "state" policies dont. So seems like the ones who question these policies are journalists only, but the military will need to question it too, because since the Turkish parliament rejected the deployment of US troops to N.Iraq, now US will not be happy with 40K Turkish troops in N.Iraq, which in turn means that, a preemptive temporary invasion of N.Iraq to prevent an independent Kurdistan from formation will not be possible. Not that US wants to do so, but it's a problem of lack of confidence. This in turn means that the military will need to develop better policies. Perhaps more cooperative ones. Heck, perhaps they can even decide to build Kurdistan as an ally!  

Kursad

Page 1 of 3 Next> Last Page>>