ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: Iraqiburgers

:
3/29/2003 4:27 AM
Al Chem Ist Re: Iraqiburgers
True...there are many uses for oil, many basic starting materials, etc., but you probably burned up more petroleum driving this week than all the plastic in your house and car, assuming you drive the average amount : )

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

3/29/2003 4:44 PM
Mark Lavelle

quote:
"but you probably burned up more petroleum driving this week than all the plastic in your house and car"
Do I get points for driving a Prius? :)  

Is there really only a little oil in plastics? I always thought it was the main ingredient...

3/29/2003 7:47 PM
Al Chem Ist
[QUOTE]Is there really only a little oil in plastics? I always thought it was the main ingredient...  
[/QUOTE]  

Well you're right that it is the main ingredient, but if you look at the volume of the plastic in a TV, for instance, I would guess it is probably~1/2 gallon of plastic (if you were to melt it down and measure the volume). It also depends on the amount of "useable" compounds in crude oil... I would venture to guess that a given volume of crude will give you more gasoline than polymer (plastic) precursors, but I could be wrong about that assumption.  

Hmmm, now you've got me interested in looking up some petroleum chemistry...  

The Patriotic Alchemist

3/29/2003 9:07 PM
Al Chem Ist
[QUOTE]I would venture to guess that a given volume of crude will give you more gasoline than polymer (plastic) precursors, but I could be wrong about that assumption.  
[/QUOTE]  
This link has some basic info:  
http://www.chevron.com/learning_center/  

So it looks like 1/2 of crude is converted to gasoline, and the other half is used for "other" things (plastic, asphalt, and other household products)  

Interstingly, "guitar strings" is listed under the other section. I guess they must mean nylon strings (or the plastic coating on those fancy dull sounding strings?)  

My nickle roundwounds sure aint got no petroleum in um.

3/30/2003 12:30 AM
Eric H

quote:
"My nickle roundwounds sure aint got no petroleum in um."

You're forgetting the processes used to manufacture the nickel, and steel: mining, smelting, foundry, wire-making, lubricants for the machinery, etc.  

Nothing happens in a vacuum, and petroleum is used everywhere.  

-Eric

3/30/2003 1:25 AM
Al Chem Ist
quote:
"You're forgetting the processes used to manufacture the nickel, and steel: mining, smelting, foundry, wire-making, lubricants for the machinery, etc.."

...and the fuel for the truck used to ship the strings to ripoff guitar center...and the grease for the hair of the dumbass guitar center salesman, trying to sell me some pedal or transistor amp when I'm buying my strings...  
Too true..., however if you consider the amount used for all the machinery, etc, for the one set of strings on my geetar, you probably couldn't see it with the naked eye...now all the sets manufactured in a year, yes, petroleum is definately consumed...my original point is that fuel is a large use of petroleum, and ethanol could cut our consumtion a lot...I am well aware that petroleum will always be needed for other uses.

3/30/2003 1:39 AM
Eric H

Just gentle reminder to everyone to consider everything before making simple statements...that aren't.  

As a simple example a styrofoam-cup has less of an ultimate impact on the environment, than a paper cup...everything considered.  

-Eric

Page 1 of 1