ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: Idea for an Alternative Solution

:
3/4/2004 8:12 AM
bob p Re: Idea for an Alternative Solution
quote:
"Most guys try to train their wives to do that but I guess you had better luck training your dog! ;)"
well, i have to admit, my dog is pretty open minded... :D

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

3/4/2004 8:30 AM
bob p
Steve, i think you're right on target. A dog needs to have a job to do, and most people train their dogs (either intentionally or unintentionally) to bark at intruders. so a dog that gives the "train-of-five" alarm bark when you approach the house is just being conscientious about doing his job.  

acknowledging that he's done his job well and talking to him in a friendly voice is a great way to let him know that you're a friend and that the barking can stop. even if you don't know the dog's name, in all likelihood the owner has conditioned the dog to associate terms like "good boy" or "good girl" with praise and friendliness. even dogs that appear hostile at first can be turned into virtual puppy dogs if you give them praise in a tone of voice similar to their master's.  

getting back to the original topic of this thread, there's one thing that i had forgotten to mention -- if your neighbor's dog is barking at sunrise, you have a legitimate reason to be upset with them. in a situation like that, i'd try to approach the owner as the first step and ask him to solve the problem. then if that doesn't work, you can complain to the local authorities about inappropriate barking. if you live in a city there are likely ordinances that apply to this type of situation, and if the problem persists, the authorities are likely to compel the owner to take action. IMHO this is a better approach than than directly engaging the dog with hostility. unfortunately, alot of people try to avoid the unpleasant situation of complaining to their neighbors. some will even resort to criminal acts like clandestinely trying to poison the animal. that sort of thing can serve to unnecessarily escalate the conflict, with the potential for cultivating bad outcomes like feuds, fights, shootings, and the like. imho, its always best to take the high road.

3/4/2004 10:04 AM
Steve Conner

Bob, I agree completely with what you're saying, but how is barking a self-reinforcing behaviour for a dog? Do they enjoy it the same as we enjoy singing in the shower? :)

3/4/2004 3:52 AM
Enzo
Re: Any ideas for an Ultrasonic pulse generator?
Maybe his wife is a...  

Oh come on, it is just a joke, I won't go there.  

Loud ultrasonics might make the dog howl in protest, too.  

I don't know about your neighbors, but if I were to go to the neighbors house and suggest I could help him quiet his dog, I am likely to get "Oh, yeah, smart guy? You telling me I don't know how to take care of my dog? Mind your own fucking business or I will turn him loose on you." etc.

3/4/2004 6:21 AM
John Fisher

I think that the utrasonic idea should be saved maily for the rats and the insects.  
I live in a neigborhood that is full of dogs. If something happens and one dog is seriously barking it starts a chain reaction which causes all the other dogs in the neighborhood to start barking too.  
It would be hard to systematically train all the dogs but I do like that approach.  
When a dog is eccesively barking it is for a reason just like a bably doesn't usually cry extensively without a reason.  
So honestly when I hear a dog barking and it starts to annoy me as some people also do, I imediately start to pray for the dog knowing that there is a reason for it whether it is stressed out or it is just hungry and needs attention. Believe it not, this more positive aproach really works!  
I live in Mexico in a fairly well to do area and there are lots of dogs. In other less well to do areas there are less dogs. Why? Because they eat them. :)  

John Fisher

3/4/2004 9:26 AM
bob p
quote:
"When a dog is eccesively barking it is for a reason just like a bably doesn't usually cry extensively without a reason."
My brother in law who lives in a rural area had a dog that freaked out one night and just would not stop barking. The dog wanted to go outside, and attempted to pull him down the road. He doesn't have a very good relationship with his dog -- instead of responding to her state of alarm, he ended up beating her in an unsuccessful effort to shut her up. The dog never became silent, but instead grew more and more alarmed, barking, jumping, and pulling on her master. As her level of panic escalated, the level of punishment he delivered also escalated. He was never successful in calming the dog who was in a frank state of panic for almost an hour.  

He was astonished to find out later that week that a girl who lived down the road had been raped and murdered on the night that his dog was barking incessantly. In this case the dog's superior sense of hearing enabled her to recognize the problem and she was trying to alert her master, who ignored her -- instead of trying to determine why she was panicking, he responded by yelling at her and beating her in an unsuccessful attempt to make her silent. He had a real life Lassie on his hands and he didn't even know it.  

Much to my amazement, when he tells the story, he doesn't even seem to harbor any guilt about whether the girl could have been saved if he had intervened in response to the dog's warnings. I think he has a very strong sense of denial working for him.  

I guess that communications failures like this one are understandable when you consider that many people can't descriminate between the different sounds that dogs make as part of their language. To many people, a warning bark, an alarm bark, a plea for help, and a friendly bark all sound the same -- its just a barking dog. Regardless of what the barks actually mean, barking dogs do tend to really annoy people. Alot of people tend to respond with anger. I guess that it's just human nature to fall to the lowest common denominator.  

When you consider that most people are inherently lazy about going outside once they're settled in for the evening (myself included), I guess that you can't blame the average guy for not wanting to investigate the reason that a dog is barking. Its not like most of us would be very eager take a walk down the road to investigate the nature of the problem every time that the dog starts barking.  

I guess that I'm lucky that I can tell the different types of dog barks apart well enough to understand exactly why my dog is barking. My dog uses a number of different barks for different situations. The really hard part is always responding to his bark so that he knows that I'm aware of the situation. In my case, the dog will bark incessantly until I respond, and once the dog knows that I understand the situation and have responded to it, he immediately stops barking. He knows that his job is to make me aware of potential problems, and once I've responded to them, his job is finished.  

quote:
"I live in Mexico in a fairly well to do area and there are lots of dogs. In other less well to do areas there are less dogs. Why? Because they eat them. :)"
as usual, where you live often determines where you lie in the food chain. I wouldn't want to be a dog in southeast asia either. :o

3/4/2004 9:27 AM
bob p
quote:
"Maybe his wife is a... "
Bitch? that would have been funny!

<<First Page<PrevPage 2 of 3 Next> Last Page>>