ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: How to keep dogs from crapping in your yard?

:
5/5/2003 3:28 PM
Bob Predaina Re: How to keep dogs from crapping in your yard?
quote:
"wait for them with an air pellet gun, and then you can choose whether to aim for the dog or for the owner..."
NOT A GOOD IDEA. Somebody in my neighborhood tried that, and now he's doing jail time. He got nailed with three charges:  

1. Discharging an air rifle within the city limits (fine).  

2. Animal cruelty (Class A misdemeaneor as first offense, Class D felony as second offense).  

3. Property Vandalism. (Class A misdemeaneor as first offense, Class D felony as second offense).  

In addition to paying fines and serving jail time, the offender lost a civil lawsuit by the dog's owner for property damage, and had to pay the entire vet bill for the dog's rehab.  

The law enforcement community would advise you to call them when you have a problem like this and not to take matters into your own hands. IMHO the best way to handle this would be to attempt to resolve things diplomatically with the owner without starting a rant. You'll catch more bees with honey. Most people are really willing to be reasonable if yoiu approach them tactfully -- its when you attack them that they're more likely to be unreasonable.  

If diplomacy doesn't work, call animal control. In most jurisdictions the dog owner will get a ticket, which will give them some incentive to curb the problem.

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

5/5/2003 4:49 PM
SLObrain
You'll catch more bees with honey. Most people are really willing to be reasonable if you approach them tactfully -- its when you attack them that they're more likely to be unreasonable.  

LOL.... I tried the nice aproach and got my car egged the next morning :( by that neighbor.  
Then the neighbor let her dog continue to crap in my yard.  
I think these people felt their dog has the right to crap wherever he likes.  
I called the police and they said I would have to catch the dog in the act on film so they could do something about it.  
I put a camcorder in my window and then the neighbor got real rude as she walked by and seen the camcorder there in my window and thats when she made the threat that her husband would kick my arse if the police came knocking at their door.  

I was so relieved when they moved but others still let their dogs run loose to do the same crap....  

I figure there has to be something that dogs don't like to smell that will detour them. Mothballs maybe? or does that only work on cats?  

SLB

5/5/2003 5:24 PM
A Colman

Use bear repellent(the oily type that doesn't wash off easy)to spray the spots where they poopped and favourite sniffing places like tree trunks and bushes.  
Aharon

5/5/2003 9:20 PM
Joe Pampel
what ever happened to putting the crap in a bag, and setting fire to the bag on the owners stoop? ;)

5/5/2003 9:23 PM
SLObrain
what ever happened to putting the crap in a bag, and setting fire to the bag on the owners stoop?  

LOL......  
I thought about doing that :D  

SLB

5/5/2003 1:28 PM
Winnie Thomas

There is an ultrasonic device you can get that will irritate the dog. It's used as negative reinforcement in dog training. Unfortunately you have to catch them in the act.  

There is also an ultrasonic device that is used to rid an area of pests, woodchucks etc. That might work.  

Winnie

5/5/2003 3:31 PM
Bob Predaina
Winnie, did you know that some states have banned the sale of ultrasonic devices for pest control? There's plenty of evidence that they don't work, which is why many states banned their sale as "scams."

<<First Page<PrevPage 2 of 6 Next> Last Page>>