ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. The sunn still shines online!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Your music

:
4/14/2003 7:30 AM
Ross M.
Your music
How many of you guys have your band's origional music online? I'm curious about this after seeing idle comments from a certain person about opening for the New York Doll's and listening to dozens of awesome clips of various amps over the time I've spent here.. plus I've been spending most of my time trying to write stuff since I finished my tube amp and I need the inspiration!

4/14/2003 2:13 PM
Rob J

OK, I'll dive in here (takes position under desk with hands over head :)).  

My old band Life without buildings have a few mp3 clips up and a live track at http://www.lifewithoutbuildings.com  

If you fear high-pitched, abstract female vocals a la Patti Smith on helium, STAY AWAY!  

R

4/15/2003 12:56 AM
Ross M.

Nice, I like it. Really unique sounding, sounds like you took some inspiration from the Velvet Underground too and they are one of my favorite bands. I love the sound of a woman with a british accent. Gives me a break from the painfully perfect vocals that are most common in female singers.  

You got some pretty nice reviews as well! The Onion? How did you manage that?  

I'll post my band as soon as the files are accepted at mp3.com, I don't want to seem like a leech here. We aren't recognized or reviewed, but I think we sound OK for a two piece rock band.

4/15/2003 2:27 AM
Steve A.
What's up with MP3.COM???
Ross:  

Unless you pay a monthly fee, MP3.COM is now limiting uploads to 3 songs per artist... :(  

They changed their policy earlier this year but it would have been nice if they had let their artists know about it...  

We aren't recognized or reviewed, but I think we sound OK for a two piece rock band.  

I guess White Stripes is doing okay for a two piece rock band... :D  

Steve Ahola

4/15/2003 5:04 AM
Ross M.

Yeah, I noticed that Steve. I also maintain my friends MP3.com page and they got a couple knocked off because of it. I guess I should mention their link while I'm talking about it, they're kinda origional sounding. (The Strandeds) Only problem is I just got him started with tube amps, so he used an old SS amp in those recordings. Now he has a vintage 50 watt Gretsch that is all my envy.  

I guess it was to be expected, it's expensive hosting that much data, and to do it for free with even three songs is nice. I just thought it was nicer when you could do much more than that. :)  

And I'm nothing compared to the White Stripes! :)  

They are among my most admired idols.

4/15/2003 7:16 AM
Steve A.

Ross:  

I guess it was to be expected, it's expensive hosting that much data, and to do it for free with even three songs is nice.  

I understand that much of it was total crap, but then again the artists were contributing their content for free... mp3.com never had to pay a dime for the material* and were able to plaster all of the pages with ads.  

But hey, it's a business and it is their decision... They first tried the "carrot approach", offering extra benefits to those artists upgrading their accounts, but I guess that didn't work so they went to the "stick-with-a-nail approach" instead (namely reducing the benefits for the free accounts).  

They didn't bother asking me but I think that a lot of the Basic (i.e., freeloader) mp3.com artists would have coughed up $19.95 a year for a Silver plan... (Gold is $49.95 a year, Platinum is $99.95 a year.)  

I'd blame it on the Hip-Hopsters uploading all of their stupid loops... :D  

--Thanks!  

Steve Ahola  

* except for a percentage of mp3.com CD's being sold... is that still 50%?

4/19/2003 3:48 AM
Steve A.
White Stripes
Ross:  

And I'm nothing compared to the White Stripes! :)  

They are among my most admired idols.

I just picked up "Elephant" and its ecletic nature kinda reminds me of the Beatles White Album... I feel that their music is a natural continuation of the same old rock that I grew up listening to almost 40 years ago.  

My 17 year old nephew is surprised that I like something that he likes... his station is playing 10 of the 12 tracks regularly. One thing that I like about it compared to the typical agressive rock played on his station is that the drums are much lighter; Jack's wife is nothing like the drummers in most new rock bands these days and I love it!  

So what other albums by them would you recommend?  

Steve Ahola  

P.S. I finally found my old site on my MP3.COM... they had added one letter to the address so my old links had stopped working. All of the tracks I had uploaded are still on there server, but the catch is that for the free accounts you can only have 3 tunes displayed at a time. You can switch them around as you like although it may take a few days for the changes to be reflected. So server space is not the issue as much as bandwidth... but I do think it all boils down to money: pay to be played!  

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/27/steve_ahola.html

Page 1 of 4 Next> Last Page>>