ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: visit Schematic Hell!

The sunn still shines online!

:
Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: Can 6SL7 replace 6SC7?

:
6/17/2003 9:01 PM
Rick Erickson
Re: Can 6SL7 replace 6SC7?
quote:
"I've never seen a glass 6SC7 for sale, and very few metal ones."

6SC7GT's are or at least were available from Antique Electronic Supply. I have had much better success with the gt's than with the metal case tubes. My Gibson GA-20 uses 6SJ7's. The metal case versions of these tubes seem to work better that the 6SJ7GT's I've tried. Go figure..  

RE

6/13/2003 6:02 PM
Wild Bill

Actually Bruce, I was probably confused with a 6N7!  

God I'm getting old thinking of a tube like that... :)  

Wild Bill

6/11/2003 5:02 AM
Enzo

I have a copy of the Gibson Manual, and it truly is a Godsend. But it also points out the rather flexible use of model numbers at Gibson. Many amps changed circuits dramatically in mid run. Looking for a Gibson model I would find the schemo wrong, but an Epiphone model was dead on. Happens a lot.  

Hey, why not just get a 6SC7? They are not expensive, and why rewire the amp for a tube? One place to look is ANtique Electronic SUpply. Their catalog is full of great stuff anyway, you should get it. Find them at www.tubesandmore.com

6/14/2003 10:15 PM
Keith

The 6SL7 works great!! Instead of rewiring the amp socket for the new tube, I rigged an adaptor from a blank tube base and a socket. Now I can enjoy the tone of this great old amp while I wait for the 6SC7 to arrive from AES. (I also now know that there are no other serious defects) Thanks to all for the info and opinions!  

Keith

8/11/2003 8:35 PM
Bongolation

Well, I'm glad it worked out, but my own preference is to go with newer old-stock 6SC7 glass tubes.  

They are neither rare nor expensive.  

I was able to snag some NOS 6SC7GTYs for my ca. 1950 Fender "Pro-Amp" for $5 each, delivered. These are the last and most highly-refined in the 6SC7 family.  

The old metal ones from the '40s were often so microphonic, I could yell in the back of the amp and have my voice come out the speaker as from a bullhorn.

<<First Page<Prev Page 2 of 2