ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. The sunn still shines online!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: Some questions about the repair business

:
5/16/2003 8:24 PM
Wesley R.
Re: Some questions about the repair business
Bless the small shops and one man operations.  
I find it hard to believe that most small shops make a reasonable living. Small business is tough and simply put, most indy repair gents do not charge enough. I usually do some or most of my own repairs, but when time or knowledge are an issue I take my stuff in to a great tech that seriousely does not charge enough. I think the only way he makes it is by working a spizillion hours. I do not work on friends amps other then opening them up and suggesting a shop. I do not think hobbyests should compete with the pros. And Yes I have tipped my repair guy.  
When working as an independent in another industry it was suggested that I use the following formula. X number of dollars nedded take home. Take home= gross$ - (expenses and taxes). so I arrived at a gross $ figure. Of course we need to get it to an hourly figure (often called "billable hours"). 2080 work hours in a man year minus vacation, holiday(s), sick and non billable (sales?, marketing, disc. with lawyers, accountents, etc). In my case the billable was around 1500-1600 hours.  

Best Of Luck,  
Wesley R.

5/24/2003 8:50 PM
Tim Gagan

The question I struggle with is what about all the time I spend looking for that tool that I set down just a moment ago, but now cannot find for the life of me. Is that billable or non-billable time? :-)

5/24/2003 9:35 PM
Chris ( CMW amps )

Tim ,  

Be sure to take some coffee during those moments so you don't have to bill your customer for that time , LOL .  

:)  

Chris

5/25/2003 4:35 AM
Dai Hirokawa

quote:
"The question I struggle with is what about all the time I spend looking for that tool that I set down just a moment ago, but now cannot find for the life of me. Is that billable or non-billable time? :-)"

Oh man, I do this all the time, LOL. Maybe I should hook up a rope or chain and tie some of them around my neck, :D. Or maybe the handles should come in garish fluorescent colors, so you can always spot them. :D  

Dai

5/26/2003 1:32 AM
Tim Gagan

quote:
"Maybe I should hook up a rope or chain and tie some of them around my neck"

Actually, you've hit on something not too far off from what my brother does. He hangs solder and a couple other things, with string or wire or something, from a cabinet that's over his workspace.

5/26/2003 6:33 AM
MJ Harnish

Whew! I'm glad I'm not the only one. I spent 5 minutes last night looking for the solder; it was literally setting right under my nose. :( I'm pretty good at keeping my bench clear at the beginning, but once I get cooking I often forget to put stuff back as soon as I'm done with it and pretty its cluttered again.

5/27/2003 5:56 PM
Rick Erickson

quote:
"Maybe I should hook up a rope or chain and tie some of them around my neck"

I keep a couple of those vinyl coated mini stackable shevles on my bench, you can find them in the kitchen-wares dept. of most Fred Meyer type stores. The square openings of the shelf are perfect for holding tools - nutdrivers, screwdrivers, cutters, pliers etc.. Stach them up two-high and you can keep long-reach screwdrivers handy.  
Another good shop trick - tie a string around those aerosol can nozzle extension hoses and then tie the other end to the can. No more searching for the little hose when it goes flying.  

RE

<<First Page<PrevPage 2 of 3 Next> Last Page>>